Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front axle interchangeability

I need to replace the front drivers side axle on my 86 GL 2WD wagon (non-turbo with auto tranny).

My problem is that my local pull yer own JY is chock full of 4WD's but no 2WD's.

My question, Are the 2WD and 4WD front axles on these cars the same? If so which years are interchangeable with my 86?. Last time I was there they had an 86 4WD with a good axle but that was a while ago, probably gone by now. Will other years fit?

Thanks very much for any help.

Thanks for the help.

To clarify (and hopefully not look like a total bufoon),

Can I use the 1 ID or 2 ID mark in my 2 wheel drive? They both have 23 splines.

Is it the number of splines that are the only concern and is that at tranny and/or hub ends?

I'm inclined to think that I am stuck looking for a 2wd axle.

Help appreciated by this not too Sube savy guy.

The spline count is on the tranny end of the axle.

You can use 2WD axles on 4WD and viceversa, the 4WD axle has a larger diameter axle shaft, but that's about it.

Other than spline count, you need to make sure the axle is for the right vehicle, EA-81 or EA-82 family, as there is length differences. The EA-82 axle is longer.

When installing axle on tranny stub, you need to make sure you line-up the pin hole correctly. There is a dimple on both the tranny stub and the axle, that is your alignment mark. Will fit 180* out, but pin won't fit thru hole.