Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tach. tick?

hello everyone! i own a '81 brat with an EA81 and hitachi dist. 180k and still running strong!! synchros in tranny acting up a bit but not bad, i just double clutch to line back up when being difficult. now heres my problem. i'm getting a small ticking, about 500 rpms worth, constant, with no noticable engine surge showing on my tach and a faint grinding noise comming from dist. when it ticks. any ideas?? MY FIRST POST, YAY!!!

Welcome to the board...what kind of noise is coming from the disty? grinding..tapping? scraping?

Hey I live in eugene also.! Or is it cap and rotor? worn out and just arcing bad?

[HTi]Johnson

it's more of a scraping noise. replaced cap and rotor. still same. its the bouncing tach. needle thats got me stumped. and i occasionally get a horribly loud scraping noise when i start it. not starter, checked that. it didn't start acting up until the bouncing needle started.

Just got mine fixed with the same problem. It is the bushings in the distributor. I got a good used distributor for it and it is fine now. Mine started out making 300 RPM jumps and went to 1000 with in a week. Didn't want to have a bigger problem down the road, so I replaced the distributor. $50 including shipping. New was anywhere from $169-$194.

And yes you can most likely replace the bushings, but I choose not to mess with that. Every since I was a little kid(many moons ago) I would take things apart and not get them put back together again.

Hey I'll check the junkyards for ya, if you don't have time.

[HTi]Johnson

thanks, called around to the local yards, no luck. i'll have to think of something else. may just have to find a junker cheap that has spare parts. but thanks anyway....