Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disaster for the RX

So, after the dyno pulls friday night, im going back to 2pt5rs/Porter (NASIOC guys in atlanta) place, its a good 45 min drive, lots of hwy and on the gas alot in atlanta traffic.

Get here, park...sleep at 2am...get up at 6am....

Go out, start it...misses some and stumbles....ok, turn off...lets start this over again. Start it up, idles right up and warms up normal and smooth. I get going, and Dr. Biggly is behind me, with his EDM (Euro Market projectors for bug-eye impreza) and there's smoke everywhere. 1 mile up the road, gas station....smell coolant in exhaust. :banghead: Runs smooth and great like nothing is happening. Rev it up...more steam...runs fine. Ok, im not chancing it driving 50+ miles to the event site at high speed atlanta traffic. 1 mile back, im pissed as hell, i turn the boost to high and dam WOT the WHOLE way back. The steam clears and the car pulls fine like the night before and nothing is odd or out fo the ordinary WOT the way back. Stop, park...idle...small steam...still smell coolant. F it. Park...ride with Biggly to the site...and bum a car (2000 2.5 RS, fully DSP prepped, used to me my RS, now its our very own Pleiades' RS) to run in SM with.

So....i get back here later in the day...fire it up...runs fine....I put my hand over the exhuast to make massive back pressure and peak under the car...and coolant is spraying out of the welding imprefections up front...NOT from the header, but from the cat section. I take the plugs out...they look like crap from 30k+ miles of abuse...no signs of coolant on them, no wetness either.

Compression check as soon as Porter gets here.

Talked to a few people, and Jerry @ Deadbolt...COULD be a cracked turbo housing sprewing coolant in the exhaust (I HOPE its that! I need to get back to Asheville sunday night!!!!!!!)

Any other ideas?

I dont understand how it could just blow a head gasket overnight.....or crack a head....turbo I can see as its a VERY abused 250k+ mile turbo that was severly overheated a few times.

might be a cracked turbo. but thinking about it.. there really isn't much way for the coolant to get into the exhaust...usually they will blow an oil seal and piss oil into the exhaust....

hate to say it but could well be the HG...you were prolly about due ;)

remember..i blew brand new head gaskets in the rally car in 7 stages....that all totalled about 150 kms (more than half of that was transit stages)

alright must have been posting as you posted.

Yep.. 1 and 3. ALWAYS the ones that go.

remember. when you parked the thing it might have been REAL close...all it might have taken was one WOT and she'd blow.

Sometimes the head and block will cool at different rates also....which will kinda rip the HG (not that common on cars with aly block and heads...but still possible)

either way..better get some Cometics or Coppers.

if they were avalible right now...Id get a set.

the plan is to borrow someone's car for a week, get a pass head (as this one has both the spark plug holes f'ed bad) from my old place, have the re worked, then next weekend come back down here and fix it...and bring it back home.

"hey pal... sure i just blew up my car... but... i'll be nice to yours..."

hehehe

that sucks, guess you found the breaking point for daily driver/race car.

if its just a head gasket, thats good, not a bad place for a weak link. if it wasnt the gasket, it could be a hole in a piston, or someting worse.

"hey pal... sure i just blew up my car... but... i'll be nice to yours..."

hehehe

that sucks, guess you found the breaking point for daily driver/race car.

if its just a head gasket, thats good, not a bad place for a weak link. if it wasnt the gasket, it could be a hole in a piston, or someting worse.

hahaha...Steven (pleiades) is pretty much my best freind on the suby community. That RS used to be mine...the RX his...other RX's his and mine...sometimes at the same time. :drunk:

i dont actually know what the breaking point was or is...all i know is that the A/Fs are TOO lean to run 15 psi...so, back to 12~13 psi now.

As for the HG/Piston/Head....dunno which, but its NOT the piston...either HG or head as its leaking coolant somewhere.

For sure...headgaskets DONT give a fair warning. :banghead:

actually. sometimes they do give fair warning...i had a HG go this winter in the ice racer...one race the water temp was 190-200 F. Next race 210-215 F. next race was 230-235F...then we parked it for the rest of the day, then went back to the cottage and changed the motor that night...Still haven't torn it apart though.

Yes...12-13 psi seems to be the limit...especially with no engine management.

So....are you convinced you need to do the engine management yet?

I'm sorry to hear about your problems but as many know its not uncommon for subaru's to have HG issues, at work I see at least 2 a day, the EA series motor's are more rare tho compared to the EJ's thats for damn sure.

Your milage is why this happened, I wouldn't be mad at all, I would be happy as hell if I had a 200,000mile turbo engine give up, think about it, 200k on a Non-Intercooled Turbo Motor is HUGE!

My 1-3 HG blew yesterday, I'm pretty stoked it lasted this long. Sorry to hear you missed racing your rx, sounds like you made out OK tho. I am going to install a diy engine management kit this spring cause pistons are more of a pain in the rump roast to replace than HG's.

I have not decided on one or both for sure yet....i WANT to do both....but I dont think I have a spare head for it...ive got 4 heads, and barely one of them look good enough to send off an resurface to replace the one on the car.

We've got HG's in stock tho....

I was thinking about re-TQ'in the drivers side...and replaceing the pass side stuff.