Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I met one of my friends from middle school, who I haven't seen in about a year, and I knew that his mother planned on giving him a 1997 legacy L when he got his liscence. I asked him about the car, 'cause I had seen it when his mother dropped by a few months ago, and he told me the sad story of its demise.

They had left at 6 in the morning, after being up late at a party and were heading down a 4 lane highway. My friend was asleep in the passenger seat, and his mother...was asleep in the drivers seat. They left the road and went into the dirt in the center median of the higway, both woke up from the bumping, and he said that she jerked the wheel right to get back on the road and they spun out of control, but she said that it was all fine untill the rear left wheel got back on the pavement, then they lost control. But anyways, they hit the gaurdrail on the breakdown lane side of the road going about 50. The car was at about a 90 degree angle to the road when it pounded the gaurdrail. My friend said that the front of the car was tweaked sideways and the headlights and hood got shoved way back. Needless to say, it was totaled.

They were both fine, had their seatbelts on and the airbags went off, neither of them had scratches or bruises. My friend is thankful to the car and wary about falling asleep at the wheel, but his mother is still in denial.

She says that the car never gripped the road well and followed cracks in the road. Her claim that the car didn't lose control untill the last wheel got back on the pavement seems dubious to me, but others may think different. I believe my friend's account more, because I know plenty of people who have fallen asleep, woken up and jerked the wheel too far and lost control.

It was a really nice car, in good shape too, but I guess it served its purpose by saving two lives.

Don't sleep and drive!

Dude, they are damn lucky to be alive. Anyone can fall asleep at the wheel. Two kids at my school died a couple of years ago in similar circumstances.

You're right, the car did serve its purpose by protecting the passengers inside. Cars can be replaced, but lives cannot. Good thing they were wearing their seat belts, too.

I am glad your friend and his mom were in a Subaru when that happened. The car gave it's life to protect thiers. A very honourable demise to be sure. It saddens me that your frinds mom will not accept that the car did it's job perfectly, protecting them, and finds excuses for the wreck. That is an offense against the memory of the car.

She really can't blame the car. She should own up to the fact that she caused the accident and the car performed as well as could be expected under the circumstances. Perhaps something happened to that left rear wheel while traversing the median that caused it to lock up or not perform normally, which caused her to lose control once on the highway again.

She has never been in the "right mindset" :rolleyes: She said that the car's suspension was higher just so that they could get away with lower gas milage. She should be danm thankful she survived, many haven't from falling asleep. Frickin new ageies. It sucks, cause that was a nice car wasted on the ungrateful.

She has never been in the "right mindset" :rolleyes: She said that the car's suspension was higher just so that they could get away with lower gas milage. She should be danm thankful she survived, many haven't from falling asleep. Frickin new ageies. It sucks, cause that was a nice car wasted on the ungrateful.

To her:

No, the suspension was higher so that people can go out in nature further to enjoy it's riches. The lower gas milage was due to the lower gearing to make better use of that three inches.

She should be grateful that the car sacrificed it's life to protect hers. This was a bad situation from the start. when she hit the dirt, she was already out of control (first from being asleep, then from overcontrolling when she was startled awake)

She should honour the spirit of the car that served her so faithfully, by not blaming it for her mistakes. Beware of the karma that you build when you do things like that.