Ultimate Subaru Message Board

multimeter

I use a nice little Radio Shack pn 22-802 Digital Multimeter. It is self contained in a nice case with audio sound and shuts off if not in use, to save batt. But it looks like they upgraded the model and raised the price somewhat. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F008%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D820

Harbor Freight sells a small one, on sale for less than $3; I think reg price is like $5-7. For what you have in mind you don't really need much. I have both this one, and a $15 fancy DMM.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90899

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37772

I also have a $350 Fluke 8060A DMM that worked for about a month... that was a worthwhile purchase. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow afternoon I am going past Harbor Freight on the way to SeaTac Airport and on to Ellensburg. If you want I can see what they have and bring it near you.

I ought to look at these solenoids and see how hard it would be to make replacements. Can't imagine that these cheap things cost $100-200!!!

TTFN!

Pat

I have gotten several on eBay for 10-15 bucks shipped, you might also try pawn shops, as these are somewhat specialized tools they don't move too fast, I bought a nice HewlettPackard oscilloscope for $40 at a pawn shop, it was several thousand dollars new, Fluke and Simpson, are my faves, but the most expensive, but I got a nice older Fluke on eBAy for $18!! The older Micronata stuff sold by Radio Shack are pretty good too

thanx everyone! pat, yeah, if you can make them, they will come :) looked up the harbour store locator and i see there is one in everett so will check that out, went to the tacoma pap yesterday and had a chance or two on the pcs but the screws wouldnt budge, need to start bringing along pb blaster with me, and, on some of the subies the pcs's were already gone...

yes Harbor Freight! I got mine there for $40 bucks and its a Fluke 88 wanna be BUT has more functions then the Fluke. Its a CenTek. Gray plastic unit in a yellow rubber slip case for protection. I've had it for about 2 years and its a very nice piece of equipment. I don't think I could have lived without it. IMHO, that would be the best one to go with instead of one from Wal-Mart or Radioshack that is worthwhile for the price and the abuse it can handle.

I agree with the poster on the Harbor Freight multimeters... I wait until they go on sale, then buy several. Thought initially, I'd just use them as a "disposible" tool, but often they last for several years before I need to replace one. Amazing that the batteries last that long! The extras I use as "stocking stuffers" at Christmas.. 8-)

I also have a $350 Fluke 8060A DMM that worked for about a month... that was a worthwhile purchase. :rolleyes:

I've heard fluke has a policy where no matter how you break the meter, they'll repair/replace it, even if you aren't the first owner. Might want to try contacting them about it.

I bought a Fluke 87III off ebay a while ago. I was (am?) an hardware engineer, so I need a good one :-)

I have a Craftsman digital multimeter - has served me well for at least seven years now

Flukes are the best, and I would look into repairing it - I have found that they are far more sensitive and accurate than any other multimeter I have used - I don't own one, but I will try to get one some day

Harbour Freight/Wal-Mart equipment works for simple stuff - but you get what you pay for - if you need accuracy (I work on electronics too) then you need something better, but for GENERAL diagnostics, they work fine.

...Harbour Freight/Wal-Mart equipment works for simple stuff - but you get what you pay for - if you need accuracy (I work on electronics too) then you need something better, but for GENERAL diagnostics, they work fine.

Accuracy is relative. When testing 5% resistors almost anything will do. When checking coil restistance, almost anything will do. Measuring transconductance and capacitance and such, well, then you are talking about a totally different class of meter. I am pretty sure that even the cheap meters have a decent ADC and timebase.

And I will have to check into Flukes repair policy. I was told at the time that I was SOL. :-\

Definitely Harborfreight. I got one to keep in my trunk tool kit in each of my cars. They were digital and fully functioned, and only $4.95! Even come with the battery preinstalled. They've never given me any problems, I even got oil all over one, just wiped it off and it works fine.

well, got the meter from harbor freight...checked the old pcs, bad-very bad, went to tacoma, pulled one, checked it, fine-very fine, installed it, good very good, reset the codes, now i still have the 32 code but the 35 cleared, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx everyone