Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm a newbie at this

I'm swapping 1.8 motors , I took one out that had a auto trans and putting it in behind a 5spd. any tricks to it? as far as putting it back behind the 5spd

I haven't pulled the one out of the 5spd yet,,, as far as lining up the spline and such,,,

I'm seaching fast and furious so I can get it back on the road, I'm also changing timing belts, never done this before either,, I'm learning that Subarus are pretty easy to work!

Thank for a quick reply

Nick

Washington State

Provided that both motors are the same fuel system (carb, spfi, MPFI, turbo..) It should be pretty close to plug and play.

If the motors are fuel injected and from different year cars, it may be beneficial to swap the intake manifolds so the manifold that came with the car stays with the car. The reasoning behind this is that the wiring harness plugs on the manifolds are slightly different from year to year (again depending on specifically what year car you are working on)

Also, while the motor is out, its a good time to do some maintenance. Water pump, timing belts, cam seals, oil pump seals. This could save you some headaches later on.

When you put the clutch on the new motor, a clutch alignment tool can be a handy thing to keep everything centered. .

When you finally install the motor, it can be helpful to have someone up front with a 22mm socket on the crank pulley bolt turning it slowly to help the splines on the clutch line up with the input shaft on the transmission.

Another tip to help us help you is to tell us what year and model the car(s) in question may be. You may not be aware, but in the US market, there are 3 different 1.8 motors, all pretty different. (EA81, EA82, EJ18)

And finally, welcome to the board. The best tip I can give you is to become friends with our huge washington state population.

Provided that both motors are the same fuel system (carb, spfi, MPFI, turbo..) It should be pretty close to plug and play.

If the motors are fuel injected and from different year cars, it may be beneficial to swap the intake manifolds so the manifold that came with the car stays with the car. The reasoning behind this is that the wiring harness plugs on the manifolds are slightly different from year to year (again depending on specifically what year car you are working on)

Also, while the motor is out, its a good time to do some maintenance. Water pump, timing belts, cam seals, oil pump seals. This could save you some headaches later on.

When you put the clutch on the new motor, a clutch alignment tool can be a handy thing to keep everything centered. .

When you finally install the motor, it can be helpful to have someone up front with a 22mm socket on the crank pulley bolt turning it slowly to help the splines on the clutch line up with the input shaft on the transmission.

Another tip to help us help you is to tell us what year and model the car(s) in question may be. You may not be aware, but in the US market, there are 3 different 1.8 motors, all pretty different. (EA81, EA82, EJ18)

And finally, welcome to the board. The best tip I can give you is to become friends with our huge washington state population.

Yes they are the same motors, carbs, no turbos, changin is cheaper than headgasket kit, I do thank you for the tips,,, I'm learning in a hurry!

Yes they are the same motors, carbs, no turbos, changin is cheaper than headgasket kit, I do thank you for the tips,,, I'm learning in a hurry!

I'm taking a 89 1.8 and putting it into a 1990, the 89 has very low miles, (126,000) compared to the 1990 ,,it had 250,000 and never been touched, blew a headgasket,possible cracked head,,

Yes they are the same motors, carbs, no turbos,

I'm taking a 89 1.8 and putting it into a 1990, the 89 has very low miles, (126,000) compared to the 1990 ,,it had 250,000 and never been touched, blew a headgasket,possible cracked head,,

if you're talking about an EA82 car, the last year for the carb was 87.......

A wierd little snag that I ran into when doing mine was that a stud in the from the bell housing came out with the Junk Yard tranny that should have stayed in the bell housing. Didn't spot it untill I had everthing sucked in to that last 3/4 inch and it just wouldnt slide together. Screwed around for half an hour trying to get that last 3/4 inch or so, untill I removed it. It was really kind of obvious, don't know how I missed it.

Pyro