Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Justy

My son-in-law just told me he has a 91 Justy. Runs fine but the pulley broke off which is connected to the cam shaft and he has to charge the battery every time he drove it. No pulley ,no charging system.

Question is; How hard is it to replace that? It's a 3 clyinder 2 WD and gets great mileage. I was thinking about buying it from him if it isn't too hard to repair. Oh and he also said the sway bar on the front is off as well.Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure it didnt break off the crankshaft? The only pulley on the cam shaft is the on that is driven from the crank to make it spin. If it is the crank then as long as the crank shaft isnt broken off(highly unlikley) and the end isnt all bugered up then just go fin your self a new pulley and key.

Matt

Just going by what he told me. He said the pulley that the fan belt goes on is a one piece aluminum deal that is part of the cam shaft. The end of it broke off so he can't hook a fan belt to it. Thus not being able to charge the system,because the alternator has nothing spinning it to charge the battery. He might have meant the crankshaft. He said it is all one piece, and the end that broke off(Pulley) is not a bolt on type. I haven't seen the car myself and only talked to him once about it.