Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat problems

Well the problem continues with the brat.. I got another disty for it, installed it, and it will start now, but only wide open, and it runs like crap.. wont rev past 1200, sputters, blowin bad brownish/blue smoke. Ideas???

I'm gonna try another coil and see if that helps. One thing I did notice is that there is a bunch of unhooked wires on the bundle coming off the fuseable links box and the wiring harness near there. Anyone have a wiring diagram for under the hood? '85 EA81 4 speed man no A/C

drivin me crazy cuz its my roomates car, and I'm really gettin tired of drivin him to work everyday. I got a notice from my landlord, that my subaru parts make the yard look like a slum. I dont get it. Theres enough stuff to build one engine, and maybe the suspension for one car. Thats it. He said I can't have more then 4 spare tires in the yard. So I gotta get the brat goin so I can haul stuff to the dump.

Thanks in advanced to anyone who responds

fuel filter was replaced in January

I'm kinda leanin towards carb problem now too. I got it running good for about a minute. it cleaned it self out, rev'd to 5k, and then when I started to actually move, it started sputtering, then I'd have to hold it to the floor for about a min and it would slowly stumble its way back up to 3k.

Will my EA82 spare carb fit on the brat?

Did you replace both fuel filters? The one in the back by the tank and the one under the hood? Also, check all of the vacuum hoses to the air cleaner and carb. If there is the slightest bit of crap in any of the jets, especially the idler jet, it'll run like dung. Just a few ideas.

Sounds like it's dumping raw gas down the carb throat from somewhere. If the problem is ignition related, it will cut out and run really roughly rather than sputtering like you describe. My Weber behaved similar to your situation when a couple of backfires destroyed the power valve, allowing raw gas to be sucked into the engine.

I'd recommend finding a spare carb for it somewhere (must be from an EA81 car, the EA82's are wider and won't bolt up). If you need to get one from Matt, I could help out with transportation. My night class is basically finished up now, and since I've got the time I'd deliver either to F-banks or meet you at Cantwell or something if my fuel costs were covered.

BTW: I am still working on finding you an LSD.