Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 MY83 Wagon Radio Installation

I have a couple of aftermarket radio/cassette players, I'm trying to install one to the wagon, but am having lots of probs. It seems too deep to fit. How do others here install aftermarket units ? Has anyone got a diagram/pic or suggestions on where it will fit ?

Many Thanks :)

Sorry, Bro, I just looked and couldn't find the tread either. I distinctly remember a thread a couple of months ago that had photos and everything. I've read that adaptors are available from stereo shops, but I've never actually seen one on an EA81. I saw one on an EA82 and I didn't like the way they looked so I made one for my EA81 myself out of aluminium. I do have access to an NC milling machine, so that certainly helped. I can take some photos of mine if that would help, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to link photos on this site yet, and I'm going to be pretty busy this week. If your internet connection can handle photos via e-mail, let me know an I'll e-mail a couple of shots to you.

Seems like what most people do (and what I did) was to take the coin tray out, enlarge that hole, and install the new deck there. Then put the coin tray where the factory radio used to be. That works slick, and you still have the coin tray.

If its detachable face:

Make cable to go between unit and face plate, then you can mount the face plate where it should be, and the rest where it will fit.

I havn't finished doing this yet, its been put on the back burner while this ea81t is reconditioned. Ill post some pics when its done.

Thanks guys, I look forward to some pics. I have reinstalled the original radio until I have more of an idea I how I should mount it. I've done alot of work on this car, and don't want to have a badly/ugly mounted radio. I might go out and find a spare console to experiment on !

you can email pics to quombone@gmail.com

Thanks