Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom bumper, unusal and (too wierd?)

Theres a thread about bumpers in the offroad section, and posted a link to my pics of my custom bumper there. But thought I'd post the link here too to see what people think of my very strange new bumper.

My stock bumper was trashed and too flimsy to do much good anyway, and wanted something unique and beefier. This is what I came up with:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photo...ery.php?cat=500

If I decide that the log is just to strange, I can slip in a 5' length of 8" thinwall tubing.

Kinda funny looking huh?

I won't make a descision untill I get my lift from PK regarding keeping the log, or switching to tubing.

Oh, and it's not as heavy as it looks. I bored a boatload of 1" holes on the bottom side. The darn thing is practically hollow!

Thinks it's too ugly or unsafe? Seems way stouter than the stock sheetmetal and plastic to me. Brackets are Heck for stout steel.

Pyro

I honestly hope thats your trail only vehicle. Unusual is fine but that is down right unsafe if you actually go on the pavement. That definatly wont pass any offroad tech inspection! :eek:

Really? If thats true, I need to understand! I'm not kidding. I was thinking that that flimsy sheet metal thing (stock bumper) was way too light for any protection. You could crumple it by kicking it!

Good point about inpections, I need to check into the Oregon DMV law. I read here on the board that in some states a 2x4 is legal. Didn't think of that. Will check.

So how is it unsafe? I need to know. What about with a piece of steel tubing?

Thanks

Pyro

I just read yer post again, and OH! You said "Offroad tech inpection". I'll never be going anywhere that that will be an issue. We live in the sticks, millions of miles of forest and trails, old logging roads, abandoned skid roads. This is both my daily driver and hunting/fishing rig.

I think it's cool, in a "I don't have any money" sort of way.

Thanks. Yupper, the log of course was free. I like free! Plenty of em around these parts. Traded some custom gunsmithing for the welding. It'll be easy enough to tag on to them stubs any steel configuration I want in the future. I don't know. The darn log is kinda growing on me. We'll see.

Pyro

well, woodworking is one of my hobbies, so I like it in some ways (but you won't see me putting one on my car, LOL)...... if it were me, I would have done a little more 'fine-tuning' on the shape of the log instead of hollowing it out, but then it would be more board-like than log-like. The holes in it will weaken it's structure. A solid log would be very sound, but a drilled out one will be much weaker......

well, woodworking is one of my hobbies, so I like it in some ways (but you won't see me putting one on my car, LOL)...... if it were me, I would have done a little more 'fine-tuning' on the shape of the log instead of hollowing it out, but then it would be more board-like than log-like. The holes in it will weaken it's structure. A solid log would be very sound, but a drilled out one will be much weaker......

Yea, my thinking was that I didn't want too ridgid. If I were to get hit from behind, I want the log to break. It's eight inches in diameter, pretty stout stuff. Now not as tough as oak mind you, but fairly strong. I figured if it were too stout, and I got hit, or backed into something REALLY fast, like a stump,(unlikely, since I don't drink any more LOL) that it could tweak, bend twist the unibody/ tool compartment where the four anchor bolts are. The way I set it up, I hope that either the log will break, (or begin too), or the soft bolts we used will shear, or some cobination of the two. I mean, one of the ideas of a bumper is absoarb shock, so as to avoid body damage, right?

I'm still concearned about the "un-safe" comments, and am afraid I'm missing something?

Pyro

I honestly hope thats your trail only vehicle. Unusual is fine but that is down right unsafe if you actually go on the pavement. That definatly wont pass any offroad tech inspection! :eek:

Maybe you could give the guy some details to back up your comments! Kind of a vague statement.

Who cares whether it's unsafe! It's unique and very Oregon-ish in a crazy waco sort of way. However you need to drill a large hole for the spotted owl and add stickers supporting the Bhagwan Shree Rashneesh and you'll be at home down central.

Tech inspection? Not in Oregon. Emisions only in some city limits.

Aside from looking like it might be a "shin buster", I think it's kind of unique and cool looking. Granted, the stock bumpers are designed to collapse and absorb damage, not so much to minimize body damage as to minimize impact forces to the occupants. But, your log might do the trick, too. I used to have a friend who had a old style Ford Bronco, 60s - 70s style. He had a rear bumper made of a length of railroad track!! You knew it when you smacked your shin on that! But, I'm afraid any forces from a collision would have be transmitted to the frame and occupants, well and of course what ever it hit!!

Here's some facts to back up my "vague" statments

Oh, and it's not as heavy as it looks. I bored a boatload of 1" holes on the bottom side. The darn thing is practically hollow!

A hollow piece of wood isnt as strong as the stock bumper.

The offroad tech inspections I've read call for bolt on tow points using 1/2" grade 8 bolts. There are no legal tow points on that bumper. This would be for I4WDA's anual event and for the Iron Range OHV recreational area. As you state however you wont be going to any official offroad areas or events. This is more to clarify for someone who might think they can get away with this for their ORV.

Check your state statutes. In MN your custom bumpers must be as strong or stronger than the stock ones you are replacing. If your state has similar statutes and inspections then well it wont pass so read up. Even if it has similar statutes but no inspections there will be plenty of cops willing to inpsect it for you the first time they see you.

Yes, as you asked. Steel would be a better solution! :drunk:

Good point! Yes, breaking the bumper would be far better than tweaking the unibody!

How about this... you come down on an obsticale, bumper breaks, and then said obsticle stuffs up into your unibody. Body is still damanged and you gotta replace that bumper.

What's the point?

Who cares whether it's unsafe! It's unique and very Oregon-ish in a crazy waco sort of way. However you need to drill a large hole for the spotted owl and add stickers supporting the Bhagwan Shree Rashneesh and you'll be at home down central.

Tech inspection? Not in Oregon. Emisions only in some city limits.

That's funny, the Bhagwan stuff and Spotted owl. Not me though. I'm a homegrown longhaired redneck hippie, if hippie at all. Sure, I lived through the sixties, mostly on poached venison and sellin' coyte hides and other furrbearers skins. I'm 1/4 blood Cherokee, me and Grandpa ran traps together 'till he was in his eighties. Still, I respect the wildlife, and take only what I need. No hippie stickers on this Soob. Maybe "Support the Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation, Lifetime Member", or something like that.

But yup, is kinda of a whaco crazy hippie bumper I guess. Sure was cheap!! Versitile too. If I find a piece of 8 inch thinwall tubing, we'll see how that works/looks.

Pyro

Thats sums up my whole car! (I find that so funny I may have to add it to my sig).

And about the bumper... at least you'll never be without firewood.:lol:

Gary

Yea! and since my acreage is IN the forest, I'll never run out of bumpers neither!LOL

Pyro

How about this... you come down on an obsticale, bumper breaks, and then said obsticle stuffs up into your unibody. Body is still damanged and you gotta replace that bumper.

What's the point?

Like I said, I wouldn't go putting one on my car....

BUT, wouldn't even a stock bumper do the same as you describe?

I think it's great!!!

I sorta fits that earthy image everyone has about Subies.

I'd call it a True Woody Wagon!!! :lol:

Hard to say how strong it really is with out seeing it in person but...

I had also heard you could use wood as a bumper?

Remember, At least in 1982 your bumper only has to meet the 2 1/2 mile/hour crash ratings for 4X4's. My bumper was just a thin piece of steel and was NOT strong! (2 1/2 mph). That looks stronger than my stock 82 bumper.

Now just apply some nice wood trim along the sides :headbang:

I like it!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Like I said, I wouldn't go putting one on my car....

BUT, wouldn't even a stock bumper do the same as you describe?

Yes, quite possible. Thats one reason I upgraded my bumpers to seemless steel tube and C channel. Two other reasons would be legal tow points and improved approach/depart angles.

I'm obviously the vocal minority once again. People seem to like the bumper and think nothing of other consequences. I've said all I need to/should on this topic and shall not be returning to it.

G'day :drunk:

Yes, quite possible. Thats one reason I upgraded my bumpers to seemless steel tube and C channel. Two other reasons would be legal tow points and improved approach/depart angles.

I'm obviously the vocal minority once again. People seem to like the bumper and think nothing of other consequences. I've said all I need to/should on this topic and shall not be returning to it.

G'day :drunk:

Well those 1 inch hole drilled in the bottom have an inch of wood between them, so it's sort of a honeycomb effect. I guarantee it's WAY WAY stonger than the flimsy stock bumper. No comparison whatsoever. I know of course most folks use steel, but I don't own a welder, don't have a lot of dough, and enjoy being different. About cops, who cares? If the bumper is legal, (which I don't really know yet) I got nothing to hide. My guns are all legal, and legaly carried, don't drink and drive.

Hey, I asked for opinions! No problem. I'm not convinced it's not safe though. Not gonna worry about it either. I'm just having fun! Not convinced about "other consequences" either.

Lots of folks don't like stuff thats differnt, but cant' come up with good reasons. No big deal. Heck, I'm used to it, what with being covered with tatoos and hair down to middle of my back and big grey beard!

Pyro

hey pryo had to check out your thread on this since it was first posted im my other thread. looks liek over all you have gotten a favorable response to it, and i see the offroaders agree with me on it sticking out too far and not being that good for offroading. but hell have fun with the soob and make it the way you want it, thats half the fun!!!!

ide say to do a little offroading fun to see how well it will hold up,