Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control VS. MPG?

Guest jclay

Hi all,

With the price of gas being what it is these days, I'm trying to conserve as much as possible. Amoung other things, this means trying to drive more conservatively/slower. My question is this, if i use the CC to restrict my speed and my lead foot, will that really benefit me, or will using the CC counteract any fuel savings i may see by driving slower? To reiterate, does using the CC function result/effect fuel economy?

Thanks!

I am not too familiar with the topography of Marlyand, but as a general rule the CruiseControl can do wonders for MPG in flat areas, but can destroy it in the hills (accelerating to maintain speed on uphills and engine braking on the downhills).

In the flat the cruise keeps the throttle steady, which is great for economy. In the hills your foot might allow for more deviation in speed, not causing large fluctuations in throttle (or even worse - kickdown in an AT car).

-Heikki

In the flat the cruise keeps the throttle steady, which is great for economy. In the hills your foot might allow for more deviation in speed, not causing large fluctuations in throttle (or even worse - kickdown in an AT car).

-Heikki

That's it in a nutshell. Great out west, not much good in Maryland, 'cept maybe on the interstates in the middle of the night. Don't use it in traffic or on wet and snowy roads.