Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 EJ22 Into '83 Brat

themixtoo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.. still truckin along. ;) Just had some issues over the past week that have kept me offline.

Here's what I've gotten since 7/5:

"Here's the upper strut mount bolted in place"

lhmount-small.jpg

click for larger- 800x600@130k

"This is how I determined the proper position for the three bolt holes for the Impreza upper strut"

mockup1-small.jpg

click for larger- 800x600@104k

"Here's another look at the pattern I made out of plywood"

mockup2-small.jpg

click for larger- 800x600@95k

Just started the EJ22 swap and 3" lift to my '83 Turbo Brat clone.
OK, OK, OK.....last night I was finally able to temp. bolt the Impreza front suspension in place (except the swaybar) complete with the original 14" rims and tires. The Brat will actually roll now:grin: ! Get This....the OEM wheel/tire combination is about 23" tall. I already bought 15" rims and 27" all-terain tires to put on this when I'm finished but the Impreza strut will only allow about 1.5 inches larger tire before the inside edge of the tire interferes with the lower strut spring mount thats welded to the strut :banghead:. Has anybody run into this situation before? Is there an aftermarket strut that uses a smaller diameter spring? Any help would be appreciated......Thanks Again, Gary

OK, OK, OK.....last night I was finally able to temp. bolt the Impreza front suspension in place (except the swaybar) complete with the original 14" rims and tires. The Brat will actually roll now:grin: ! Get This....the OEM wheel/tire combination is about 23" tall. I already bought 15" rims and 27" all-terain tires to put on this when I'm finished but the Impreza strut will only allow about 1.5 inches larger tire before the inside edge of the tire interferes with the lower strut spring mount thats welded to the strut :banghead:. Has anybody run into this situation before? Is there an aftermarket strut that uses a smaller diameter spring? Any help would be appreciated......Thanks Again, Gary

How about a rim that has less backspacing so the tire clears the spring?

How about a rim that has less backspacing so the tire clears the spring?
That's a possibility, but I did buy the 15" rims from this group, I really hate the hassle of having to re-sell the rims and buy other rims and pay to have these 27" tires remounted/balanced etc. Also the Impreza struts are now 10 years old, I'd rather just replace the struts if something is available.........Gary

OK, OK, OK.....last night I was finally able to temp. bolt the Impreza front suspension in place (except the swaybar) complete with the original 14" rims and tires.
This is tooo much, I finally pushed the Brat out into the driveway last nite so I could remove the rest of the interior (carpet, rest of turbo underdash wire harness, steering column, digi-dash, etc) because I couldn't open the doors all the way while it was on jackstands in the garage. My wife freaked out :grin: , with the 4.25" front lift only done, I've got 16" clearance from the ground to the BOTTOM of the rocker panel (I told her it wouldn't be TOOO High) :brow:. Cant wait to start on the rear suspension!!!! Gary

• 2 weeks later...
Are you OK Raven, I sent a few more pix on the 17th or 18th? :confused: If you didn't get them I'll try again.. Gary

Yeah. I'm still alive. After Hurricane Dennis came ashore, I was kept mucho busy with the Red Cross giving assistance to those in my county that needed it. I'm sure yall heard of St. Marks on some of the news networks.. well, thats a community about 6 miles from my home, so I was there just as the water was beginning to recede and for the additional week and a half afterwards.

I just checked the email, and see the images you sent. I'll get on em tonight after I get off work.

Yeah. I'm still alive. After Hurricane Dennis came ashore, I was kept mucho busy with the Red Cross giving assistance to those in my county that needed it. I'm sure yall heard of St. Marks on some of the news networks.. well, thats a community about 6 miles from my home, so I was there just as the water was beginning to recede and for the additional week and a half afterwards.

I just checked the email, and see the images you sent. I'll get on em tonight after I get off work.

Good to hear your all right...There's nothing like helping others, as I've found, you always receive back more than you give. Whether it's your time or your gifts. Gary

As usual, click the thumbs to get a larger version. -Raven

---

"I don't remember if I've shared this one yet. This bracket bolts to the strut rod mounting holes already on the Brat and then the rear pivot bushing on the Impreza 'A' arm bolts to this. The shiny bolt that can be seen mounts through the factory frame rail and I had to drill a new hole for this. Gary"

lhaarmbrkt-small.jpg

"Here's a shot with the 14" rims/tires. However, the engine/trans are not installed at this time, so I imagine the front end will settle about 2". Gary"

14inchwheels-small.jpg

"Here's a little 'TEASER' This is what it will look like with the 15" rims and the 27" tires. Gary"

15inchwheels-small.jpg

If you like, you can email the pics to me and I'll trim them down and host them for you.

email.gif

Thanks again, mate. Been on vacation last week, will have some more updates soon. Just cut a 5.5 inch notch in the trans tunnel to install the Impreza sub-frame trans mount. This ones pretty tricky (got to be just right) because it will determine the final angle of the crankshaft/driveshaft. Gary

• 3 weeks later...
Just cut a 5.5 inch notch in the trans tunnel to install the Impreza sub-frame trans mount.
Well trans tunnel is 'welded' in. My 110 volt welder sure leaves a lot to be desired. I'm going to have to load the Brat up on my friends' trailer and take it to work where it can be welded better.

• 4 weeks later...
I already bought 15" rims and 27" all-terain tires to put on this when I'm finished but the Impreza strut will only allow about 1.5 inches larger tire before the inside edge of the tire interferes with the lower strut spring mount thats welded to the strut :banghead:. Has anybody run into this situation before?
Sorry I've been gone so long, lots of projects have forced the Brat to the backburner. I think I've solved the strut problem for a minimal cost. I cut the lower strut spring mount off the strut and welded it to a piece of pipe that slides over the OEM strut. In it's compressed state (out of the car) one turn of the coil spring is about 3.5 inches so I cut the pipe (that I welded the spring mount) 3.5 inches longer than where it was on the strut (this much is done so far) and then I will cut one turn off the coil spring and re-assemble. This new outer tube that slides over the strut will be spot welded at the two ears that clamp around the spindle in order to keep it from rotating around the strut. Gary....pix will follow

• 6 months later...
Sorry I've been gone so long, lots of projects have forced the Brat to the backburner. I think I've solved the strut problem for a minimal cost. I cut the lower strut spring mount off the strut and welded it to a piece of pipe that slides over the OEM strut. In it's compressed state (out of the car) one turn of the coil spring is about 3.5 inches so I cut the pipe (that I welded the spring mount) 3.5 inches longer than where it was on the strut (this much is done so far) and then I will cut one turn off the coil spring and re-assemble. This new outer tube that slides over the strut will be spot welded at the two ears that clamp around the spindle in order to keep it from rotating around the strut. Gary....pix will follow
Sorry, everybody, lots of things happened to distract me on this project. This 'cut the spring' idea didn't work. I'm still experimenting with a new plan.....99 Outback struts, Impreza coil springs and my custom top mounts will give me 6.5" lift (on stock 14" wheels). this may put too much strain on the CV joints as I only dropped the Xmember 3", but we'll see. Engine and trans are in. Last night I bolted up the Impreza rear suspension assembly, needs a little 'tweeking' but it looks pretty good except now I got no place for a fuel tank. Does a Justy tank have the fuel pump inside or does anyone know where I can get the Impreza tank modified to fit between the 'frame rails' of the Brat? Gary