Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 EJ22 Into '83 Brat

themixtoo

Sorry, everybody, lots of things happened to distract me on this project. This 'cut the spring' idea didn't work. I'm still experimenting with a new plan.....99 Outback struts, Impreza coil springs and my custom top mounts will give me 6.5" lift (on stock 14" wheels). this may put too much strain on the CV joints as I only dropped the Xmember 3", but we'll see. Engine and trans are in. Last night I bolted up the Impreza rear suspension assembly, needs a little 'tweeking' but it looks pretty good except now I got no place for a fuel tank. Does a Justy tank have the fuel pump inside or does anyone know where I can get the Impreza tank modified to fit between the 'frame rails' of the Brat? Gary

This 'tweeking' of the rear suspension has turned into a nightmare! Everything turns into a project. The seperate mount for the front of the differential had to be narrowed 7" and the outer pivot bushings on the rear spindles are frozen. Don't want to damage the spindles so I'm trying to drill out the rusted bolt (got five hours into one bolt so far and NADA/NOTHING, can't even budge it with a sledge hammer and my tie rod fork tool. CAN'T BELIEVE MY FIRST POST ON THIS PROJECT WAS ALMOST A YEAR AGO!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

summit racing.i dunno the webaddress,but they have a grip of fuel cells.
That's funny you mention Summit Racing, I was just looking at their catalog yesterday, as a matter of fact they are only 45 minutes from my house. I might be able to use one of their fuel cells after the Brat is emissions exempt but not right now.

• 3 weeks later...
This 'tweeking' of the rear suspension has turned into a nightmare! Everything turns into a project. The seperate mount for the front of the differential had to be narrowed 7" and the outer pivot bushings on the rear spindles are frozen. Don't want to damage the spindles so I'm trying to drill out the rusted bolt (got five hours into one bolt so far and NADA/NOTHING, can't even budge it with a sledge hammer and my tie rod fork tool. CAN'T BELIEVE MY FIRST POST ON THIS PROJECT WAS ALMOST A YEAR AGO!!!!

Started fabricating the front mount for the differential/lower radius rod. Mocked it up, tried to tack weld it, couldn't get good penetration (in other words F'd it up). At two in the morning, woke up and remembered just how important it is to turn ON the gas when using a MIG welder. HAHAHAHA

• 2 months later...
Started fabricating the front mount for the differential/lower radius rod. Mocked it up, tried to tack weld it, couldn't get good penetration (in other words F'd it up). At two in the morning, woke up and remembered just how important it is to turn ON the gas when using a MIG welder. HAHAHAHA
OK....Finally it rolls on the Impreza suspension!!!!!!!! I'm still not thru, rear will be 2.5" higher and the front will be about another inch higher. What you see here is with my '98 2.5RS Impreza 16" wheels on. The final 'look' will have 27" tires. These are only 25" in dia. DAMN once again can't download the pix it's too big and even my kids laugh at me when I ask how to reduce it. Any feedback would be appreciated. LOL. Gary

OK....Finally it rolls on the Impreza suspension!!!!!!!! I'm still not thru, rear will be 2.5" higher and the front will be about another inch higher. What you see here is with my '98 2.5RS Impreza 16" wheels on. The final 'look' will have 27" tires. These are only 25" in dia. DAMN once again can't download the pix it's too big and even my kids laugh at me when I ask how to reduce it. Any feedback would be appreciated. LOL. Gary
Ok I've downloaded that Easy Thumbnails thing, lets try again

post-8096-13602761686_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
I'm afraid 'easy' doesn't discrible me very well. Probably 'different' is more like it.:lol: . Gary
Well it's a monumental day today, not just because the wife and I are celebrating our anniversery (32 years) but the Brat rear suspension with the additional 2.5 inches of lift so my 27" tires will fit IS FINISHED:banana: . Last night I fabricated a couple of brackets to mount the Impreza rear rubber brake hoses. Now they are primered and painted, but I can't install them because the little clips that lock the hoses into the struts and the brackets had to be 'special ordered' from my local 'Ru dealer (go figure). Next up is to re-design the upper front strut spacers as now I have new Legacy Outback front struts ready to install but I think they will lift the front too high (is there such a thing) and damage the front axles. So modification is in order as I really want to drive this THING on the street sometime this year.

• 2 months later...
Well ..... Next up is to re-design the upper front strut spacers as now I have new Legacy Outback front struts ready to install but I think they will lift the front too high (is there such a thing) and damage the front axles. So modification is in order as I really want to drive this THING on the street sometime this year.
So, everything is bolted up and the right side (with the modified upper strut bracket) is 1/2" higher than the left side. Here we go again, I guess I"ll have to redesign the left upper strut mount for the third time. This is such a drag, but I WILL get it sooner or later. The Brat sure looks neat with these 27" AT tires mounted on those 15" rims from GrossGary. Thanks again.

'

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Emailed Gary. Here's what he writes...

S'KO, Good to hear from you. I've had all kinds of little problems arise with the Brat. First, I went to have a custom driveshaft made (from the trans to the rear diff) and found that the engine and trans are not setting perfectly straight in the chassis, even tho I measured 3 or 4 times to get the engine crossmember in exactly the right place. I must have broken motor mounts or something. I lent out my 'cherry picker' to a friend last spring and still haven't got it back.LOL I just ordered a fuel tank from JC Whitney this week out of a 1953 Jeep. Its made of plastic and I think I can modify it to accept the 'Ru sending unit/fuel pump. It now rolls in and out of my garage without much effort, but I still have'nt got the Impreza wiring harness in and so I can't start it up. How's your project coming? How's that beautiful weather in CA? It's freezing here in Ohio right now. Gary
BW

• 1 month later...
I have a few more questions on the swap. Will a third eye still work with a fan on the front of the radiator? Or do I have to scrap it? Also what throttle cable do I use? The legacy cable, ea82, ea81?

your still alive? havent seen you in forever man.

so does anyone have any pics of this project that actually work? im getting nothing bet red "x" and file not found.

i am hoping to get my brat set up rather nice with the 5 lug swap and an ea82t. it should be fun.

i have a stock radiator in with my setup.so no reason you couldn't leave the third eye in.i left a fan in stock location.it is tight,but it works.cheers, brian

ps give a pm if you need any pics jb.glad to help.

I have a few more questions on the swap. Will a third eye still work with a fan on the front of the radiator? Or do I have to scrap it? Also what throttle cable do I use? The legacy cable, ea82, ea81?

I'll be taking lots of pics to throw up as Im doing the swap. Does the ea81 Pitch stopper work with the 2.2? Just tryin to figure out what I'm going to be needing from this legacy and what works. Thanks for the help.

your still alive? havent seen you in forever man.

so does anyone have any pics of this project that actually work? im getting nothing bet red "x" and file not found.

i am hoping to get my brat set up rather nice with the 5 lug swap and an ea82t. it should be fun.

the pitch stopper is another animal all together.i figure a guy could do it like p.k. does with a lift.he needs a mounting bracket that will fit on the upper mount bolt for the ej motor on the passenger side.oh, and take everything you can get your hands on,you never know when you want to change directions on something.

and just to clarify,an electric fan from a mazda mx6 can be mounted out front,rather thin,or inside.out front do not know about with third eye.i ended up mounting one out front like that,but initially i had a stock ea81 series fan stuck in there.it did fit,but like i said ,rather tight.course i did not have power steering mounted either.cheers, brian

I'll be taking lots of pics to throw up as Im doing the swap. Does the ea81 Pitch stopper work with the 2.2? Just tryin to figure out what I'm going to be needing from this legacy and what works. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever try swapping the 2.2 in without the power steering? I figure I just need a different smaller belt for the alternator. Any ideas of what length it needs to be from experience? Otherwise I'd need an ea82 engine crossmember with power steering right? That way the ej22 motor mount bolts are lined up witrhout any drilling right? I'd also need a 4" steering extension for an ea82 power steering unit? What else? Thanks again.

EDIT: Are the engine crossmember lift blocks the same for an ea82 as an ea81 as well?