Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with Vacuum Hoses in a 80's 1800 EA81 Automatic Sedan

First, Hello to all...

This is my first post, and first i´m gonna tell you something about my past subaru cars :) . I live in Chile, the first subaru that we have was a 1987 Loyale 1.8 Sedan GTI (injection with 105 hp), then we have a 1989 1.8 Loyale coupe Turbo with mechanic gear box (136hp), an now we have a 97 Legacy Outback. (and others car that are not subaru also ie Citroen, Peugeot, Alfa romeo and Fiat)

The versions of the loyale in my country are more powerful because they come with out catalitics converter i think... the outback have the same power.

But that is not the thing that i´am writing this post. Im gonna tell you the facts.

My cousin have a 1980 Leone sedan with a ea81 1.8 engine an automatic gear box. He take out the engine to repair some things with the water pump, thermostat, to change the rings and other things... The problem is that he dont know were to put the vacuum hoses of the engine :-\.

The engine have a Hitachi carb, there a vacuum plug in the carb that we don´t know were goes. Another vacuum plug is in the intake manifold (i believe that this goes to the brake servo).

The other plug is in the other side of the manifold, we put here the vacuum advance of the Dist.

And the last vacuum plug is in the bottom of the air filter box (my cousin put the brake servo here) but i dont know that is correct. (we dont have picture of that)

Another vacuum plug (i believe is a vacuum plug, but im not quite sure) come from the automatic gear box, but we dont know were to put it

In all the forms that we think the vacuum hose can go, we always have 1 hose plug that dont have conection, that is our problem :-\

So, if some one can help us with some diagrams, service manual, pictures, or info of were to put the vacuum hoses, i ve very please and very thankful :D

I left some pictures of the plugs, but in the pictures don't show the plug that is under the air filter box

Thanks again, an sorry for the english, but is not my native language :)

Front of the engine:

DSC00064.jpg

Back of the engine

DSC00061.jpg

The one on the carburetor goes to the distributor advance. The one that you have connected to the advance goes to the climate control, you should find a hose that comes out of the firewall on the right side. The third one I'm not sure about. Is the carburetor the original one for the car? I know that on some of the 80 models a vacuum hose went to the back of the carburetor. Maybe the carburetor was replace and that vacuum port is no longer needed.

the one on the back of the manifold can be plugged.. it was there for emissions things (like ASVs and such) that do not appear to be on that engine-

correct on the one on the front of the carb- thats the disty advance!

the one you have marked as disty advance, can be plugged, or yes.. the defrost flapper (recirculate) under dash canister goes there...

but you can also (and need to) connect the tranny vac line there (use a T fitting if needed)

that just supplys a vacuume

that manifold seems very simple compared to the one i just finished reinstalling all the hoses and solenoids onto tonight! (87 brat, ea81, hitachi computer controlled electronic feedback carb! :eek: )

it also looks like there is a coolant leak near your disty! you should fix that soon, it will lead to bigger problems! (and in case you dont already know, dont use stop leak whatever you do!!! its worse than letting it leak!)