Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loud thud/jolt on deceleration

Anytime I let off the gas in my 85 BRAT without applying the clutch, I get a loud thud and jolt in the entire vehicle. The thud sounds like the engine just fell out into the road. The same thing happens when I hit the gas hard in low gear.

I can control it if I use the clutch to make sure the engine and tranny are at the same speed before I let off.

Anyone got any idea?

CAMOBRAT

Anytime I let off the gas in my 85 BRAT without applying the clutch, I get a loud thud and jolt in the entire vehicle. The thud sounds like the engine just fell out into the road. The same thing happens when I hit the gas hard in low gear.

I can control it if I use the clutch to make sure the engine and tranny are at the same speed before I let off.

Anyone got any idea?

CAMOBRAT

Well, I don't know the exact configuration of the Brat. But it sounds like a classic case of a broken transmission or motor mount.

I checked the motor mounts. I was told that I had a loose one. when I attempted to jeck the motor; the entire car was moved. I checked the bushings and found no problem.

I did find a problem with the transmission mount on the drivers side. All the bushing was gone. I will repair thi today.

We'll see.

Any idea how to tell if a motor mount is bad other than jack up the motor and see if it moves?

CAMOBRAT

I am also interested in the results of this thread.

I also have the same noise in my 86 wagon and have checked the mounts to find them good. I have also noticed the noise is more frequint when it rains. Guess which state I live in.:-\

all I do to check the engine mounts is open the hood all the way up, lean it against the wind shield.. grab the alt bracket and the oil fill neck and shake the @#%^ out of the motor. it shouldnt move but a 1/8 inch with the mount bolts tight