Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(Did a search, didn't find the info I wanted.)

I'm coming up on 80,000 miles and from the sound of it; I'll be needing some exhaust work soon.

I am inclined to buck up for a good quality stainless system, if one is available, on the theory that it's a better long term value. However, I don't know what's available, other than, I suppose; a factory system.

I also wouldn't mind a better flowing system and even a bit more sound, but I am NOT(!) looking for some boy racer fart can setup.

What are my options?

The reason I asked where you were from is because some northern, salt infested areas may benefit from stainless.

Let us know what you find and how much it was. I still don't think 5 years is bad for a conventional system.

I wish my '91 had stainless fenders.

80,000 miles isn't that long of an exhaust life. My 95 Legacy went 210,000 miles or so before anything went wrong...and it was just a small hole or something...that a local shop welded and all is well now.

Look for a nice cat back exhaust system...if I had the funds, that is what I would do. It dosnt have to be overly loud, and you may get some minor raise in power.

Guys... the reason I came here to ask this question is because I assumed that the denizens of this board would already be familiar with the options available.

Does ANYONE know what's available in terms of high quality replacement systems? Other than the factory replacement... I already know about that option.

Or is the problem that, other than the factory replacement system; there IS nothing but cheap-a$$ replacement systems?

Is the OEM not stainless on the 2000 Forester?

My 97 OB hasn't been touched yet, 440,000 km. I've got a heat shield rattle to address right now, but that is it.

Commuter

As far as I know the stock system is stainless, although I could be wrong. I haven't called the stealership yet.

As far as the length of time on this system, my current problems MAY be related to just a gasket. I haven't bothered to take it to a shop yet because I want to ALREADY KNOW what my options are BEFORE I go to a shop.

Also, I live out in the country and deal with a lot of roads that have yet to be blessed with stone, let alone pavement. Driving frequently on rough dirt roads DOES take it's toll on any exhaust system. There is also the stuff Ohio uses for snow melting now. It's worse than salt.

Sorry, can't say for sure LRN, but I would be very surprised if the OEM system is stainless.

Yeah, neither can I.

I just THINK it is.

In any case, the stock exhaust has so far lasted since 2000 and almost 80,000 miles under fairly severe conditions; so I gotta figure that's what I want. I DEFINITELY don't want some crap from Autozone that I'll be replacing again next year.

*sigh*

I guess that's what I get for buying a boring car. No decent aftermarket. I'll bet if I had a WRX though.... heh heh heh

LRN, check out these guys:

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolleyed/8/26/index.htm

The Hayward and Scott system would be what you want in terms of sound. Vortex, Ninja and that sort are all too loud!

Scoobyworld does provide quite a good customer service, so it would be worth giving them a call, or at least e-mailing. Might want to get pictures of the system, to make sure it'll fit.

Otherwise, get a Subaru system - or just the faulty part - and paint it with heat resistant matt black paint. It won't make it sound better, but it'll last longer. Obviously, stone chips might make painting a futile effort.

Stock system is NOT stainless. Hope that helps!

P.S. Most likely it's only your silencer that's rotted from internal condensation. If you need to replace it, you might want to replace the center section at the same time. The flanges tend to be rusted thin and it can be impossible to get old and new to fit snugly and remain gas tight. Trust me, I've been there :-(

Center section is hooked up to the cat pipe via a flexible link. Kinda ball-and-socket joint, where the ball is an easily replaced thick gasket.