Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Winch question???

On the original subaru winch, how much could it pull ? And since they do not make them anymore can I use one of these atv whinches 1500lbs or would this be a bad idea

The Gen 1 brat does not wheigh to much and could fit on atv trails so what about the atv whinch.??

On the original subaru winch, how much could it pull ? And since they do not make them anymore can I use one of these atv whinches 1500lbs or would this be a bad idea

The Gen 1 brat does not wheigh to much and could fit on atv trails so what about the atv whinch.??

The original winch is nothing more that a superwinch 1500 painted yellow. With a snatch/block/pulley it will work OK for your Brat Will. Are you adding it to the original bumper? A come-along is a good extra piece of trail gear in case your winch can't pull you all the way out.

That being said. I run a Superwinch 4500. It is big and takes up a bit of room when not in use. Mine is set up on a portable mount for front and rear use. I also have pulley set for it and have used it to roll over 'yota's and fullsized Chevy's. Still haven't had to roll over anyone else yet.(knocks on wood)

The optimum size winch is around 3500lbs. Most Brats will tip the scales around 1800-1900lbs. Some with heavy mods will weigh ALOT more.

Thankyou for the tips I have always wondered, It is a add on that I will do down the road, Right now my 80' has steel bumper I bought a few years ago from Ralph that fit the gen 1 I believe that will do, I have no front bumper for my 81' but that is in the works from another board member. After I get both running ok I will think about getting a winch.

Brad