Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm new to this board and have been doing various searches but haven't yet found what I'm after, perhaps someone could help?

I have an '02 Forrester with ~40K miles and the CEL light just came on. The local dealer wants almost $100 just to tell me what the problem is. Is there a way to find out at least what code is being sent that triggered the CEL?

I've tried the gas cap, and that didn't get the CEL to go away. I'm open to other suggestions also.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron

Wouldn't this be covered by either the emissions or power train warranty?

Depends on what the fault code is. Might also be worthwhile to check w. Alldata to see if there are any known issues/recalls that might be related to the light (get the code first tho).

e.

Thank you once again for the suggestions. At first I tried the gas cap and the CEL light came back on again and stayed on for a short trip (4 miles). But now it has gone off and stayed off for two fairly long (30+ miles) trips. I'm thinking it might have been a gas cap after all and the component driving the CEL needed more time to "recognize" that the cap had been tightened and then clear the code.

Is it ok to blame the gas cap episode on my wife... ;-)

Thank you once again for the suggestions. At first I tried the gas cap and the CEL light came back on again and stayed on for a short trip (4 miles). But now it has gone off and stayed off for two fairly long (30+ miles) trips. I'm thinking it might have been a gas cap after all and the component driving the CEL needed more time to "recognize" that the cap had been tightened and then clear the code.

Is it ok to blame the gas cap episode on my wife... ;-)

I've had two episodes involving the gas cap. They take a LONG time to clear.

Both were my fault because the wife refuses to fill up the Forester. I put on a locking gas cap which my better half doesn't like to use.

~Howard

:)

The web site states that it will NOT work on 1996-2000 Subarus.

~Howard

:confused:

Since the vehicle in question is an '02, shouldn't be a big deal, but yeah, I agree, it seems a little goofy. For giggles I should try it on my 98 Legacy and see what happens.

I've had two episodes involving the gas cap. They take a LONG time to clear. :)

To clear the code battery dance it.

Roll down your window so you can reach into the ignition swaitch, and turn off all accessories. Disconnect the battery for at least 15 mins. (I do an hour). Reach in and start the car without opening any circuits. Allow the car to idle 15 mins, then shut it off. After that drive normally, the CEL should be gone.

To clear the code battery dance it.

Roll down your window so you can reach into the ignition swaitch, and turn off all accessories. Disconnect the battery for at least 15 mins. (I do an hour). Reach in and start the car without opening any circuits. Allow the car to idle 15 mins, then shut it off. After that drive normally, the CEL should be gone.

On OBD-II cars (all 1996-) this is an unnecessary measure. The CEL will come back on if the condition is not fixed.

If the condition has been "repaired" then the CEL will go off after so many cycles and diagnostic checks. If you have fixed the problem with the gas cap, then the light will not return. If it comes back, and you can't get it to go away, read the codes and begin a diagnosis.

Depends on what the fault code is. Might also be worthwhile to check w. Alldata to see if there are any known issues/recalls that might be related to the light (get the code first tho).

e.

Thanks! I didn't know about Alldata, very cool. There is a recall listed but the dealer claims it doesn't apply to my car that they did the repair "at the port". Sounds like a line, he suggested I appeal to Subaru directly but that sounds like a waste of time.