Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are soobs in Canada rare??

I posted in the market place a soob that looks like a bull, I had some intrest, but after a few soob fans checked it out it was going to be too much of a project.

I posted it up on craigs list in Portland and with in 6hrs had 4 people interested in it and one of them is from Canada.

This person is going to pay me 1500.00 in a m/o I will remove 300.00 for what I'm selling the car for and the rest is to go to a shipping company to ship to Canada.

Doesn't this sound weird? Why would you pay 1100.00 to ship a 300.00 car to Canada. Or am I missing something, like gold under the dash board or something?

What do you guys think?

basically what happens is the check clears MOST of the banks... so you think it clears, but when it reaches the fed it comes up fake or something like that and then they have to remove the money back out of your account... the money that you sent to the shippers (REAL money!) is gone too! So you are out a car AND shipping money.

Hmmm... could be a scam. Then again, could be legit. From your original post:

"This person is going to pay me 1500.00 in a m/o"

If by m/o you mean an international money order, then it's likely not a scam. Take the money order to any bank and exchange it for cash. On the other hand, if it's a cheque (yeah, I'm Canadian), then you may be up against a scam.

As for Subarus being rare up here, yeah, they're definitely not as common as down south. Combination of a number of things, not the least of which is a harsh climate, small population base, and limited model availability. I used to run a 1987 4wd Hatch out of Vancouver, BC - had to drag the local Volvo/Subaru dealer out to the lot to convince him that it was a D/R; he kept insisting that no such beast had ever been made. Should'a seen the look on his face! LOL!

--wd

ya subies are rare up here... i got my brat from OR... so not all are a scam... but in all my time of looking for a hatch that i would use for an off-roader(about a year) i have found only 4-5 that i would use...

wolfdog

had to drag the local Volvo/Subaru dealer out to the lot to convince him that it was a D/R; he kept insisting that no such beast had ever been made. Should'a seen the look on his face! LOL!

let me guess! the richmond dealership!!!! they are a bunch of stupid idiots there... i asked them what the phone # to a local subaru repair place was... big old subaru sign ourside the local place... says certified suby repairs... and they said to me, "there isn't a place there..." and i was all, "I was just there!" and they were, "NO it doesn't exist..."

GRRRRRR....

Here on the west coast older gen subes are pretty common. At least the wagons are extremely common (I see many every day) and the hatches and sedan are fairly common. Don't think I have ever seen a brat or an RX around these parts though. Mind you, I've only been "into" subes for about 6 months so I didn't really take notice much before.

I would definitely be very weary of a scam...

let me guess! the richmond dealership!!!! they are a bunch of stupid idiots there...

You KNOW it! LOL!! Was going there for parts originally (this is back in '98), but found that Aldergrove Wreckers were a far more knowlegeable source, and WAAAAAAAAYYY CHEAPER!!

Still have the hatch, though not on the road. Engine still works, too; can't seem to kill'em - sort of a Chucky thing... MWOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:lol:

--wd

Rare, I just bought a gl-10 turbo sedan for $250 !!! I don't think anytown in North America has more subes than Nelson BC. Saltspring doesn't even come close, alot of N.I.M.B.Y.'s tho.

Is that for the GF, or a DD until you fix the wagon?

hey all you guys on the island... you NEED to go to salt air recycling... i've never been but apparently they got 40 acres of subies... pure subies...

i was actually planning on going in the summer sometime...

been there, Bill Potts is his name if I remember it right. He had an LSD still on a care a while ago but he has since sold it. I think I'm getting a second gl-10 sedan with a blown bottom end for a couple hun. Might make one really solid 4wd turbo sedan. There's a fair # of sube up for sale right now up here on the north island.

been there, Bill Potts is his name if I remember it right. He had an LSD still on a care a while ago but he has since sold it. I think I'm getting a second gl-10 sedan with a blown bottom end for a couple hun. Might make one really solid 4wd turbo sedan. There's a fair # of sube up for sale right now up here on the north island.

Bill died a while back, his son Ed is running it now. Yes, lots of subes there, all kinds, even 2 gen 1 Brats in the far corner - great people to deal with.