Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Solenoid valve broken....

Hi!,

on 2th of april, My Brother and I think we can replace the gasket of the cylinder head on our subaru 1987 GT, when we take off the motor I notice the harder work of the cylinder heads and stop at that point. On monday we call a mechanic to do this and they give us the motor the last saturday. When we finish the instalation we notice the EGR solenoid valve is broken (i know this part was not broken because i play with that, but really I dont know what happen

:( ), now my question is. can we use the car with a bypass while we find another, is a good idea buy used this part?, we see a number AESU128- 3, but we try to find where sells this part but we didnt find it. Is there a website where we can buy it?

Thanks for any advice...

Edwin

The solenoid is a dealer only part and they are well over $100 dollars new. I found out about this some time ago when I broke mine while doing some work. You should be able to get this from places that sell new Subaru parts but the price is not going to be pretty. I would try to find a used one at a junk yard or maybe someone here has a spare one they could sell you. You should be able to block off the lines and drive the car alright.

Correct, I put a plate in place of my EGR valve for almost a year and did not notice any side effects. Just make sure you plug the vacuum line going into the intake though.

Unfortunetly, I don't have any extra EGR solenoids lying around right now. I do have a couple purge control solenoids though.

Edit: Do you mean the electrical solenoid, or the vacuum operated valve?

I have had a thought about these things. These things are just a solenoid valve simple two wire hook up right? Why wouldn't another valve from another make of car not work. It would be important to know if the valve was normally open or normaly closed; and the coil resistance would be important so as not to set the computer off. Does this sound right? or have I missed something?

... Why wouldn't another valve from another make of car not work... Does this sound right? or have I missed something?

Will, as far as I know you are dead on. We just need one that is proper (NC, I believe) with the right resistance (35-40-ish ohms), and they would function. If we found a helpful partsperson...

They might not pass visual inspection, for those places that do such things.