Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Closing in on my first older Soob

Okay, I'm NEW to all of this and you all have been very helpful giving me lots of advice on what to look for in trying to find an older Subaru. So...over the weekend I found a car that might just fit the bill. It's an 88 GL Wagon that has 229K miles on it and has seen better days. I think it has potential and was wondering what you folks think.

The Negative

Damage to passenger side doors (both, low)

Missing back driverside wheel (riding on spare)

Needs tires that aren't bald

Front seats beat to hell

Some rust and oxidation on hood

Overall, dirty and mossy (WA state)

Hole in muffler the size of the Hulks fist

Runs rough and has engine light always on (O2 sensor I'm guessing)

Sloppy 1st and 2nd gear

Lots of broken knobs and handles

Lots of internal trim missing or lying around inside cabin

The Positive

The dash is in remarkable shape (as in REALLY nice)

newer removable CD player that works

Doesn't smell inside

New battery

Engine seems clean (no oil sprays in the engine compartment)

It runs (albeit very roughly)

everything seems to work (lights, wipers, 4WD etc)

Asking $500

I figure It'll need $500 - $750 just to make it drive worthy (if I get creative). I figure (and have already gotten some good advice to this effect) that a fairer price is in the $300 range. I've never done this and like the idea of a rescue but I do need to consider that what I am looking to achieve is cheap reliable transport to last the next 3 years (until my wife and I get out of grad school).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe off the $300 and see what he says - $500 is TOO much around here for a car with that many miles and in that condition. More like $250-300 IMO. You could get a decent running Soob for not much more than $500 and definitely under $1000. I sold an '83 4x4 wagon with 170K on it for $300 (needed a clutch cable immediately and a clutch soon, but it ran super and got 30MPG).

id search for a better platform to start out with

http://seattle.craigslist.org/

is a great place to find cheap soobs.

good luck

-BRad

and another great place is http://www.littlenickel.com/

cut/pastes from ads on the little nickel:

1988 SUBARU 4X4 GL wagon. Mechanic owned. Excellent power train. Runs great. Needs body work. Sacrifice $450. 425-350-2234* Everett, WA

Subaru's - 1979 wagon 4x4, runs, $500, 1986 XT, $150. Call Mike 253-536-5412* Tacoma, WA

1988 SUBARU WAGON, save on gas, great daily commuter, runs & drives excellent! $899 425-742-4777 dlr* Manor Way, WA

Okay, I'm NEW to all of this and you all have been very helpful giving me lots of advice on what to look for in trying to find an older Subaru. So...over the weekend I found a car that might just fit the bill. It's an 88 GL Wagon that has 229K miles on it and has seen better days. I think it has potential and was wondering what you folks think.

The Negative

Damage to passenger side doors (both, low)

Missing back driverside wheel (riding on spare)

Needs tires that aren't bald

Front seats beat to hell

Some rust and oxidation on hood

Overall, dirty and mossy (WA state)

Hole in muffler the size of the Hulks fist

Runs rough and has engine light always on (O2 sensor I'm guessing)

Sloppy 1st and 2nd gear

Lots of broken knobs and handles

Lots of internal trim missing or lying around inside cabin

The Positive

The dash is in remarkable shape (as in REALLY nice)

newer removable CD player that works

Doesn't smell inside

New battery

Engine seems clean (no oil sprays in the engine compartment)

It runs (albeit very roughly)

everything seems to work (lights, wipers, 4WD etc)

Asking $500

I figure It'll need $500 - $750 just to make it drive worthy (if I get creative). I figure (and have already gotten some good advice to this effect) that a fairer price is in the $300 range. I've never done this and like the idea of a rescue but I do need to consider that what I am looking to achieve is cheap reliable transport to last the next 3 years (until my wife and I get out of grad school).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

To tell you the truth I do believe you might be starting off with a headache.

Personally, 4+ years ago....(4 years ago) bought a 1985 Subaru GL wagon 5 speed for 420 bucks......120,000km on it...rusty but I drove it for 70,000 +km.....of course I put 400 bucks into it......but now it is a diminishing return...:lol: unless some of the guys on here can figure it all out...:) This is in Canada....British Columbia.....where everything is expensive....

Karinvail....has the right idea.....go for the dream machine...not the sweat-it machine......

Good luck.... hope you find one that rules.....:banana:

Thanks for all the advice. I've been coming to the sam conclusion...that the car is just too expensive for what it is. Since I'm not in a HUGE hurry I can afford to keep looking.

I am thinking now that I may just hop uop a few notches in price and look for something in the $1500 - $2500 range. Something that is newer and with less miles(although I'm always open to the $500 super bargain dream car). I may be a broke college student but figure I can probably scrape that together in a few months with a little creativity and some extra hours. To be honest, I have a two year old and I just couldn't see myself being comfortable putting him in that beater.

I'll let you know what I turn up.

Try http://www.canadatrader.com or http://www.buysell.com.There are some decent looking cars for around 1,000 CDn. It costs about 160.00 cdn to get a broker to help you export it or you can do it yourself. As long as the car is more than 15 years old it shouldn't be a hassle. I just finished buying my first Sub. 88 GL with 210,000 miles (former California car). $900.00 Cdn with a weak clutch but the body and interior sound much better then the one you are looking at. Better off to start with something better I think. The cars that haven't been aircared in Vancouver often sell fairly cheap and if you can fix it yourself you will do great.

I just went looking and I have to say WOW there are quite a few decent looking older cars. I am going to call on a few and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.