Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Loyale Performance

Greetings all!

New member and first post here!

I am the proud(?) owner of three Subaru's. 2 of them are Legacy's and one is a Loyale. It's the Loyale that is the concern at this time.

This thing is a dog!! As noted above, it's a '93 wagon with a 3 spd automatic. It can scarcely get out of it's own way. I would almost bet that my 1300cc motorcycle makes more hp and torque than that car does.

What is the best I can expect from this beast, and what will I need to do to obtain the best?

BTW it has somewhere around 195,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Brad

Lakewood, CO

Your biggest problem is the fact its an automatic...I have read many complaints about that.My 92 Loyale can get up and go ..only when he needs to...but he is a 5 spd. They were never ment to be fast. I think the only things I can toast at redlights are old beat up Mazda 323s,Semi, and garbage trucks :lol: . But I wouldnt trade my 38-40 MPG for anything!

Samo,

Even though I own 3 Subaru's, I really don't know much about them. Hence, my next question.

What's an EJ swap? I'm guessing maybe a transmission???

Unfortunately, I can't go to a manual, as this is my wife's car and she won't drive a manual transmission vehicle.

Brad

The EJ swap is throwing in the motor from a newer-generation car (the EJ family of engines). EJs come in a number of flavors, from the EJ18 in some Imprezas, all the way up to the EJ25G in the mighty STi. They all have more power than the EA engines and are still quite easy to work on. There's a number of EJ-swapped old-gens floating around these boards. Ratty2Austin's old EA81 wagon is a good example - he threw in a Legacy EJ22 and made his wagon quite quick.