Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternate fuel filters?

Has anyone tried to swap out their OEM or OEM-style fuel filter for something else? I was wondering if there are higher-flowing or more efficient-filtering ones out there. I'm guessing technically you could use a wide array of filters since the technique is the same across the board.

For example, you apparently can use newer model VW GTI filters on older Audis, and this supposedly is an improvement.

I'll try to get a picture up of my fuel filter setup. It's a WIX spin-on fuel filter and water separator (with a drain on the bottom). The filter mounting base was $27 and the filters are around $10. WIX says it's good for up to 400 hp, so I think it just might meet our fueling needs:rolleyes: . It's primarily designed for large marine inboard engines, but can be used on just about anything, gas or diesel.

In all honesty, you should not need more fuel than the stock filter can flow. Since it's a pressure-regulated bypass system, most of the fuel that goes through the filter just gets pumped back to the tank anyway. That said, I went with my filter setup for two reasons: It's as easy to change as an oil filter, and I've had lots of trouble with condensation in the fuel tank building up, so I needed the water-separating capacity.

As large as the fuel filters on these are I'd be really surprised to see one actually clog. Has anyone ever had one they could honestly say was the root of a fuel flow problem? The one on my Ford F250 and a Ranger that I used to have are around the same size, if not slightly smaller, and the Ford wizards all say they'll last the lifetime of the vehicle. Unless you put dirt in the system or something.

As large as the fuel filters on these are I'd be really surprised to see one actually clog. Has anyone ever had one they could honestly say was the root of a fuel flow problem? The one on my Ford F250 and a Ranger that I used to have are around the same size, if not slightly smaller, and the Ford wizards all say they'll last the lifetime of the vehicle. Unless you put dirt in the system or something.

I have yet to see an FI subaru filter actually clog. (It's a very common problem on the carbureted models though.)

Lasting "the lifetime of the vehicle" when it's a Ford, is not very long....:rolleyes: j/k