Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I defunctionalize the PCV system?

I've heard this and that about valve cover breathers and dissasembling the PCV system. I notice that I get massive amounts of oil into my intake from the crankcase, somehow traveling all the way up into the main intake hose and literally dribbling in both the direction of my MAF and throttle body. I kid you not, this stuff becomes a river sometimes.

Now, can I just plug the hole in the intake hose and attach one of those miniature air filters onto the valve cover? Or is there other work required?

Is there possibly even a way of retaining the system and just finding some oil seperation device that can be spliced in between?

Here's how I routed mine due to blow by.

Vent tubes on each rocker cover -> hoses -> T fitting -> single hose out of T fitting to breather/filter. Tucked the breahter down low where air drafts over it.

Removed PCV valve from intake manifold and replaced with properly sized and thread pitch bolt from my spare Subaru bolt box. Plugged extra holes in main SPFI snorkel with more spare bolts and tightend the seal with clamps. All hoses are fited with screw down clamps.

You could also setup a water/oil seperater canister in line and leave it all hooked up like it should be. However you'll be emptying that canister often! :lol:

The PCV system is there for a reason. It evacuates crankcase gases. I removed the PCV setup from an EA82 I used to have, and it started leaking oil profusely due to the lack of vacuum in the crankcase (the vacuum helps control oil leaks).

I am still perfecting a self-maintaining oil separator that I should have for sale this summer. You should also replace your PCV valve with a new OEM one. Aftermarket valves just don't work as well.