Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 carbs on a 85 carbed engine

I think they did make a dual carb manifold for the EA71 and EA81. If you could find one for the EA81, it would attach to your engine with minor modifications, but they are quite rare since they weren't sold in the US.

I do have one question though: WHY? Either a Weber swap or an SPFI conversion would likely be cheaper, easier, and yield better results. You say that the car is an 88 with an 85 motor? If whoever did the swap left the ECM and wiring harness in the car, converting back to SPFI would be really easy.

I think they did make a dual carb manifold for the EA71 and EA81. If you could find one for the EA81, it would attach to your engine with minor modifications, but they are quite rare since they weren't sold in the US.

I do have one question though: WHY? Either a Weber swap or an SPFI conversion would likely be cheaper, easier, and yield better results. You say that the car is an 88 with an 85 motor? If whoever did the swap left the ECM and wiring harness in the car, converting back to SPFI would be really easy.

this is my own car,i can get all the spfi stuff just wonering whats out there as i could make a manifold as i have a alluminum foundry and am a pattern maker SJR

Yep they sure did make twin carb manifolds for both ea-71 & 81's that used the hitachi carb, l know this for sure because my brumby has them fitted and mine is an original 81 setup, not a ea-71 type modified. They don't seem to be rare down here as many have them fitted but from what l can tell talking to most is that their cars are running a modified 71 type. mine is a straight bolt on type, no mods needed because it is correct for my motor, l also have a modified 71 type to fit an 81 on a spare motor in my shed. l'm rather surprised these are so difficult to get in the states but fairs fair l guess as we did not get turbo's.

As for performance, they out-perform a single weber by a long way.

Yep they sure did make twin carb manifolds for both ea-71 & 81's that used the hitachi carb, l know this for sure because my brumby has them fitted and mine is an original 81 setup, not a ea-71 type modified. They don't seem to be rare down here as many have them fitted but from what l can tell talking to most is that their cars are running a modified 71 type. mine is a straight bolt on type, no mods needed because it is correct for my motor, l also have a modified 71 type to fit an 81 on a spare motor in my shed. l'm rather surprised these are so difficult to get in the states but fairs fair l guess as we did not get turbo's.

As for performance, they out-perform a single weber by a long way.

is this a stock or after market add on ? I like that they will out preform a single weber as I would like to put 2 stock carbs (easy to get) on a offroad rig probably take 2 manifolds and chop them up and weld up a duel mount for a prototype SJR

Both of the manifolds are stock Subaru items, one is correct for an EA-81 engine and is unaltered, it bolts down like the original but has 2 base plates cast for carbies as compared to 1 on the standard manifold. The other is an EA-71 type from the mid 70's that an engineer mate of mine has modified to fit an EA-81 engine and it has been dooing this quite well. Don't know about making one from 2, l'm an engineer and that sounds like alot of work, but as we all know anythings possible.

A fellow down here has a twin weber set-up on his, food for thought! :slobber: