Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looks like (from the sudden smoke cloud and the pool of oil) that I might have blown my front crank seal the other day.

No bad engine noises,but sudden smoke and tons of leaking directly from the region of the plastic cam gear cover led me to think the front crank seal blew out.

Other thoughts? Is a crank seal r&r pretty easy to do once the radiator etc is outta the way?

And the reality: how about general price for a shop to do it?

TIA

Adam

where exactly is the oil on the cover, directly in front of the center of the engine, or off to the side.

You really don't have to remove the radiator, just the fans. You'll need to take off the crank pulley, and probably should replace the timing belt since it's now coated in oil.

It's not too bad a job

Thanks for the reply....the car is still in the school parking lot where I work, I am going to tow it back home with the chevy maybe tomorrow, then I'll know exactly what's going on.

The last I saw oil was completely sprayed back underneath the engine (well coated) from the bottom area of the cam cover.

Are you suggesting that if it appeared to be leaking primarily from the sides rather than directly beneath the cover, that perhaps one of my cam gear seals blew instead of the main seal?

Thanks.....

Adam

Dealer here charges around $200 to do cam seals.

I was quoted $450 for the timing belt, water pump, oil pump seal, and cam and crank seals...so if you need a timing belt you might want to have it all done since it is not to much.

Hope this helps with figuring out how much it will cost.

about a month back now i did my own.changed oil pump seal,cam seals,timing belt and front covers(kinda broke taking old ones off)

gotta say that was a learning experience.did have help with it though.took about 5-6 hrs.there was a delay cause i had to wait while my friend went to parts store for a seal he didn't have.

though it took so long i had fun,learned something new an now i can say-yup i did it myself :banana:

Glad to hear these responses...ironically, I believe this car had gone thru a timing belt/seal r&r just before it was parked for a 2-year "abandonment"....perhaps not, but anyway....I sure hope I open the covers and all I see is leaking from the seals.

Since my car never made terrible sounds that morning and the CEL didn't get tripped, and the engine temp gauge never wavered, hopefully no warpage or badness occurred.

Hey, a little curious...anyone recommend best/cheapest/most efficent or whatever online source for the seals and whatnot?

How about an East Coast source, if it matters? (I'm in Alexandria VA)

OK, enough for this thread...I have to start another about my s/w rear gate handle....

Adam Lee