Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help - '02 Forrester w/ 02 CEL

I'm back again. The disappearing CEL was only temporary and it seems the gas cap "fix" was coincidental.

After a steady week of the CEL light on, I had the code read by PepBoys for $21 and it came back to the O2 sensor (specifically PO130 O2 sensor bank# sensor#1) The dealer tells me this is the one forward of the catalytic converter.

Anyone have experience changing this sensor or have some pictures to share? I have moderate mechanical skills but no way to get the vehicle over my head, if that's required. I read the pdf on this site but the picutres don't seem to match my vehicle and didn't seem to apply to my model?

Any help is, of course, appreciated!

Link to orig thread

I'm back again. The disappearing CEL was only temporary and it seems the gas cap "fix" was coincidental.

After a steady week of the CEL light on, I had the code read by PepBoys for $21 and it came back to the O2 sensor (specifically PO130 O2 sensor bank# sensor#1) The dealer tells me this is the one forward of the catalytic converter.

Anyone have experience changing this sensor or have some pictures to share? I have moderate mechanical skills but no way to get the vehicle over my head, if that's required. I read the pdf on this site but the picutres don't seem to match my vehicle and didn't seem to apply to my model?

Any help is, of course, appreciated!

Link to orig thread

Ron,

O2 sensor is covered by the federal emission warranty. Why do you want to change it yourself?

There is continuing Technical Service Bulletin out on this. The dealer should have told you. They have to fix it ... FREE! We did it twice, the second time the dealer Idefferent dealer, we were on a trip) wanted us to pay $140.00 I told 'em, it was fixed under warranty, wasn't fixed the first time, get the money from SOA. I don't know if they did, but they didn't get it from me.

There is continuing Technical Service Bulletin out on this. The dealer should have told you. They have to fix it ... FREE! We did it twice, the second time the dealer Idefferent dealer, we were on a trip) wanted us to pay $140.00 I told 'em, it was fixed under warranty, wasn't fixed the first time, get the money from SOA. I don't know if they did, but they didn't get it from me.

I'm on Alldata and I'm not sure which service bulliten it is. Do you know which one? None of the dealers I've talked to so far have owned up to this so I'd like to be prepared with the bulletin when I go in there. Thanks!

Ron,

O2 sensor is covered by the federal emission warranty. Why do you want to change it yourself?

Argghh, dealer just told me that "it screws into the catalytic converter but it's not part of the catalytic converter so it's not covered" I'd love just once to get a straight answer from a dealer.

OK Ron,

You made me walk to my car and look in the Warranty Booklet (don't you have your own?): Oxygen sensor: 3 years/36000 miles. Looks like you are out of luck.

Thanks for ck'ing, I was hoping you knew off the top of your head.

Hi,

I actually just changed the front O2 Sensor on a 2002 Forester yesterday. Its quite simple, I used a Subaru sensor which was like 79.00 and the only tools you need are a small flat screwdriver and a 22mm wrench (which I could'nt find so I used a medium sized adjustable cresent wrench)

The screwdriver is used to pry off the little plastic clip on the sensor's wiring harness, once that grey clip is off, just pull the harness apart. I removed the intake are hoses (2 10mm bolts) to free up some space to get at the harness.

You need to reach above the converter with the wrench (working underneath the car) and get the wrench on the sensor and loosen it. I used a set of ramps to elevate the car. Then once its loosened, screw it out, and screw the new one in. Hook up the harness and hold the wire back with the little bendable clip down by the axle (just bend it around the wire) and your good to go.

Start up the car and do a test run to make sure its running okay. I took mine to autozone and begged them to erase the code and shut out the light and he did. (they're not allowed to erase the codes just tell you what they are)

Hope this helps some......

Tim