Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some serious problems!!!!

I just completed putting my EA-82 back into my 93 Loyale, went to start it up and it turned over but would not start. I am pretty sure that it is the ignition timing but honestly have no idea where to begin. I went to the few posts on here on setting up ignition timing and tried that out but it did not work. Does anyone know of an easy way to get the timing right?

I tried turning the crankshaft until the flexplate reached the 0 mark which I thought was supposed to be TDC for the 1st cylinder. Is that correct? Then I put the distributor in the same place that it was originally in. The problem that I am having is due to the fact that I didn't mark anything on the disty before I pulled it out. How should I go about doing it now? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I really would like to have it running by monday. Thanks.

First Question......Did you do Timing Belts Both correctly....??

To check them for correct timing do this....

First pull the 2 outer side timing cover plastics off...turn the crank so that driver side cam sprocket timing mark is at noon...If it is at noon, them passenger timing mark will be at 6...also on the crank, at the bellhousing mark you should see 3 lines all together in a row....the middle one should be at center of timing mark on bellhousing, or very close to it.....

If these 3 timing marks are not lined up together , then you have timing off.....Start there.....:(

If you are 100% sure that these 3 marks are right then here is what you do to time disty.....

First Turn crank so that 0-degree is on timing mark in bellhousing

then pull # 1 plug out and verify the piston is at Top dead center, by turning crank a bit each way...... If it is, then Pull the disty cap off.....# 1 plug wire is just to the driverside of the rear cap screw/clip....when you pull the cap loose, the Rotor should be pointing at this wire ...If not it might be pointing 180 degree's out at # 2 wire if so pull disty and stick it in so it is pointing at one, Put everything back together and Try to fire it.....

Now on the other hand if when you pull the cap , and the rotor isn't pointing at one or two wire, and it is say 2 or 3 teeth out, you have one of 2 things going on....Either you have t-belts wrong, or if you had disty out while doing your Over haul you set it back in wrong......

Making sure That Flex plate mark is on 0 and # 1 piston is at TDC then stick disty back in so rotor is at # 1 plug wire....

If after you put things back together and you only get a pop, then try timing it 180 off, meaning pull cap ,put flex plate at 0 again, Rotor will be poining to # 1 or # 2 plug wire , pull disty and turn it to the opposite that it was ...If on 1 put it at 2 , or if at 2 put it at 1....

So now if you aren't 110 % confused, you should be able to figure your issue out....:)

Later, John

I am pretty sure that I got the engine timing right. The only thing that is frustrating me is the fact that I was told by my chiltons to put the two camshafts at 12 o' clock and then the flexplate at the middle of the three lines. Is that right?

I am pretty confused about the adjusting the timing inside the disty. Can you possibly break that part down a little further? Also what should I be able to see when I pull the spark plug from cylinder 1? Other than that I think it is just going to take some trial and error until I can get it to start.

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, Did you time the driver side Cam at noon, then rotate the crank one time so driver cam was at 6 and Then set passenger cam at noon....???If not , and you timed both at noon WITHOUT rotating the crank.....You have Passenger side out of time 180 degrees.....:(

Very short version....You have to retime, but only the passenger side....

Bring the driver side cam to Noon, make sure the 3 marks are located right at timing mark, then slack off the passenger cam, and Without moving anything else put it at 6.....now you are timed right..... If you are very careful you might even get away with doing it with just the side plastic off.....

If you still have issues, Call me Today, Cell time is Free, I'll walk you through the procedure....

John

# is in my Signiture....:)

Thanks a lot for the help mudrat. So I should just be able to remove the passenger side timing cover and put that side at 6 once the belt is removed and the other side is at 12 and the flexplate is lined up in the middle of the lines? I am going to try and do that today.

I might need some help in regards to the ignition timing though. I really appreciate all of the help. As you can probably guess this is my first time pulling the engine out of my car. Thanks a lot.