Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the stutter and smoke once again

87 turbo wagon 5 spd gl10

I am once again having the black smoke and stutter problem, it gets worse when boost hits, and it belches black smoke like a freight train.

The other day my cel came on briefly, then went off. I tried to pull the codes today and it said nothing.

the O2 sensor is about 20k mi new as is the fuel fitler, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coolant sensor, maf. I am only getting about 200 mi per tank, and I am running 89 octane. The timing is about 20 BTDC last time I checked ( a few months).

Now I dont know if it coincedence or what but today, I pulled out all of my stereo euipment (amps, cap, eq) and just hooked up the head unit. I installed new headlights(which I removed the charcoal canister from the bracket) , and replaced the blower motor for the heater.

I did a good check of all of the hoses on the canister and checked the purge control solinoid(the cause last time) and everything looks fine. It acts like air is getting in past the maf almost.

I wish there was a way to bypass all of that ************. I hate this troubleshooting of 1,000,000 hoses B/S.

thanks, iluvdrt

As far as the hoses, or the intake gaskets? Ity justb started doing this today after the stereo and headlight work. I did notice that the other day when I topped off my oil I accidentally put about a 1/2 quart to much in. could this be doing it? I haven't really gotten on her in a while since today.

OK well after this weekend I changed the timing belts, all the vacume/pcv hoses, pcv valve, fuel filter, plugs, oil, o2 sensor, and air filter. It is still doing it which leads me to believe its the purge control solinoid. This little buger came unplugged on me once and the same symptoms happened. Dealer price is 214$, so Ill try the for sale section here on the board.