Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing frustrations - first post

Hey I've read posts at USMB for awhile but never had any problems I couldn't figure out on my own, or by just doing a little research on the site.. until now that is.. My 87 GL threw the driver side timing belt while I was on the freeway. I've read other posts about how to replace the belt and had somewhat success with it, but my luck has come to a hault. I lined up the marks on the cam pulleys with the notches on the timing covers, and got it to barely run. It was blowing air and gas out of the carb, as well as fire. So I took the passenger side timing belt off and spun the cam pulley one tooth at a time in hopes of better results. At one point, the car would idle just fine, but as soon as I gave it any gas it would sputter and almost die before the rev, still blowing air out of the carb. Now when I line up the timing marks with the notches in the timing covers and turn the key, it's like there is no compression. And when I have the marks in the same spot where it would idle, it just backfires after it turns over. Can anybody tell me why it's doing this? or even how to make it stop doing that and give me any suggestions how to get it to run again?

That article by Miles is useful. Have you got the two cams 180 degree out from each other. I haven't done a belt change, but the left hand drive cam goes on first... pointing up... one revolution of the engine back to the mark, left hand side cam pointing down do the right hand side cam with it pointing up. One full revolution and the left hand side cam should be lining up with the mark on the cover.

So with piston one at tdc (which is the other markings on the flywheel), the left hand side cam (which is on the right as you look at it) should be at about 1:30 and the right hand one at about 10:30.

I'm not that familiar with the 82's but do open valves clear a piston at TDC? I know in some cars, if you break a timing belt it can bury the valve in the piston, which is why they recommend replacing them so often. If they don't clear, then it's possible that's why he's having blowback in the carb. One of the intake valves might not be sealing.