Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Old Brat on a long trip

hello everyone

I have purchased a 1985 Brat GL on E-bay. I am now going to fly up to Pennsylvania and drive it back to New Orleans. The Previous owner says that the Brat runs well except at idle. What should I be concerned about on this trip? It has 127K miles and looks to be in good shape. Maybe the idle problem is a vacuum leak or something simple. Are there any known frequent failure items of this model?

Thanks

cardineau

runs well except at idle
Well, the interstate is run at speeds above idle, so dont worry about it till you get home.

What should I be concerned about on this trip?
Tires.. get a fullsize spare as mentioned above. And front axles.. inspect them boots. If its torn, get it fixed before you go. Axles with torn boots take one of two routes.. either they fall apart at the moment when you need them (most likely case), or they'll run forever. Get a basic toolkit. Hammer, metric wrenches/sockets, pliers (regular and needlenose), vice grips, regular and phillips screwdrivers, and channel-loks. Oh yeah.. and one of those $9 tire plug kits from wallyworld would come in handy. 1-2 quarts of oil, a gallon of water, a quart of gear oil, and call it a day.

Everything else is just details. :D

Are there any known frequent failure items of this model?
Nope. Check the fluids regularly, and drive it back easy like. You should be fine.

---

When I acquired my Brat, I flew to VA with nothing but the rest of the sale price, and enough money for gas on the way back. If anything broke, I knew I had enough street smarts to survive. Well, the 20 year old, lifted beast made it back down to Florida just fine.. even with several hundred pounds of gear/spare parts in the back.

Go easy on your new purchase, and it will take care of you. :D

Oh, as northguy said.. plan your trip to pass through areas of other USMB members (I'm outside Tallahassee/I-10). Either to meet some new friends, or to just have an outlet to go to in case something goes wrong on the trip. Helping hands are always a good thing.

Thanks for the advice. I'm also taking a Haynes Manual and a flash light. I'll have quite a load boarding the plane ... it ought to be interesting. I'll let you know how I made the trip.

cardineau

Well, the interstate is run at speeds above idle, so dont worry about it till you get home.

Tires.. get a fullsize spare as mentioned above. And front axles.. inspect them boots. If its torn, get it fixed before you go. Axles with torn boots take one of two routes.. either they fall apart at the moment when you need them (most likely case), or they'll run forever. Get a basic toolkit. Hammer, metric wrenches/sockets, pliers (regular and needlenose), vice grips, regular and phillips screwdrivers, and channel-loks. Oh yeah.. and one of those $9 tire plug kits from wallyworld would come in handy. 1-2 quarts of oil, a gallon of water, a quart of gear oil, and call it a day.

Everything else is just details. :D

Nope. Check the fluids regularly, and drive it back easy like. You should be fine.

---

When I acquired my Brat, I flew to VA with nothing but the rest of the sale price, and enough money for gas on the way back. If anything broke, I knew I had enough street smarts to survive. Well, the 20 year old, lifted beast made it back down to Florida just fine.. even with several hundred pounds of gear/spare parts in the back.

Go easy on your new purchase, and it will take care of you. :D

Oh, as northguy said.. plan your trip to pass through areas of other USMB members (I'm outside Tallahassee/I-10). Either to meet some new friends, or to just have an outlet to go to in case something goes wrong on the trip. Helping hands are always a good thing.

you guys forgot duct tape and bailing wire.....:grin:
oh snap! how could i forget such?

hey cardineau: uhm.. most of the items you can buy from like wallyworld or whatever when you get up there. Just bring the basics.. the toolkit, and manual. I'm not sure how the airline would feel about you bringing petroleum products (read: fire!) as carryons. :lol: Or since even fingernail clippers and lead (read: bullet, just projectile without case. those TSA bastards made me destroy my kickass keychain!) are outlawed, they'd prolly think you're a terrorist that has a desire to loosen all the bolts and down the airplane. Just bring what you need to get started. Wallyworlds are everywhere, and provide cheap tools/supplies. :D