Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with this 82 GL?

So I'm driving across town today.. and I see this lady broken down in an 82 GL.. so Im like "Yeah, I'll stop to see if she needs help." Anyway.. I tracked the problem down to an ignition thing. Apparently there is something wrong the car thinks the ignition is in the "off" position no matter what position it is in. She is terrified of "electrical" problems costing an arm and a leg at a shop. So she was practically willing to give the thing away. So I towed it to a friends house near by... We're trying to decide what to do with it. Compression sounds good and she said it runs good. It has virtually no rust. Brand new clutch, Brand new water pump... So here's my options and I would like anyones input.

1) Buy the car for $300 and part it out.

2) Buy the car for $300, fix it and keep it.

3) Buy the car for $300, fix it and sell it to Jessica's sister for $400 or $500.

4) Fix the car and return it to the lady for little or no charge.

Here's a few pics:

DSC04128.thumb.jpgDSC04127.thumb.jpgDSC04129.thumb.jpgDSC04130.thumb.jpg

You got to do your civic duty and fix it for the lady. You'll feel better.

Tell her you like those cars and if she ever wants to sell it you'd be interested.

It's easy for me to volunteer your time :D

My .02

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I would fix it and just be the nice guy in this situation. You don't know me, but how many times has a person just really needed help and I think to do the honest and correct thing would be to help her out and be the good neighbor!

Just my 2 cents!

Rich

Ya the lady even offered to have us just pay her $50.00 for it. But we said no, she paid $200.00 for it, we told her we would give her $300.00. Her brother put in a brand new clutch that cost her, I think she said, around $180.00. It's a nice little car, doesn't really need a whole lot more work. We just don't know what the "right" thing to do is. Normally we help people free, but it's kinda a bind situation.... give this lady her car and only means on transportation or sell it to the single mom with two kids who's trying to divorce the evil husband who happens to be in jail..hmmmmmmm. We're kinda leaning on giving it back to her, let the sister make small payments on the Honda Accord wagon. How does that sound? I think a little better. Thanks for the input guys!!:)

~*~jessica~*~...oh and Eli i guess

I dunno... is this truly the lady's "only means of transportation" in the near future, or does she have the cash/credit stashed away to pick up something else, and is only waiting for someone to tell her that it's not worth the effort, and she ought to pick something else up?

If so, I'd say hand it off to the single mom.

Otherwise, fix it for free or dirt cheap for the lady, and let her know if she has more problems with it in the future, you'd be willing to buy it off her.

Is that "her" leaning on it? If so, not half bad. :brow:

Fix it and give it back. Charge her $0.

Who knows.. you might end up getting something in return.. :brow::brow::banana:

But on a serious note, who cares what she looks like. Be the standup guy, fix it for $0 and give it back. Put in a plug that if she ever wants to sell, you'd be into it. Heck, at that point, she just might return the favor by giving it to you. (No.. the car you freaks!) :lol:

well, the girl leaning on the vehicle, not the owner, that be me, jessica. Yes i guess i answered my own question, i'm giong to let the sister (single mom) have the Honda, the lady wants her car back. She's real nice and living in the middle of nowhere on dissability. BOY THE DRAMA. So we're fixing it and she wants to pay Eli, who is fixing it right now and won't let me help:-\ As a matter of fact she wants us to tell her how much she should pay us and we don't really know what to suggest. I say be a good samaritan and do it for free, but if you guys have any opinions on how much you think she should pay feel free to say, it will be appreciated:) Thanx!! Uhm oh ya, and we dunno if we would really want to keep it, not 4wd:banghead: but it has great parts!

~*~jess~*~..my nephew wanted the dancing banannas:banana: :banana:

well, the girl leaning on the vehicle, not the owner, that be me, jessica.
Now I'm confused. Jessica = SuBrat84 or Jessica's Man = SuBrat84?

If its the former, I apologize for my remarks. I suffer from the distorted thinking that every old subie enthusiast is a balding drunken freakboy like these other USMB members. :lol:

Also, if the former applies, I think I need to move to Tuscon. brownbag.gif

Okay, just to clarify things here.. "SuBrat84" is Eli (the guy, 22) and Jessica (the sexiness leaning up against the 82 GL in the pics, 20) We are engaged to be married on May 13th 2006. Neither of us are fat, or balding. Jessica says she is not offended. :-p And yah, you SHOULD move to Tucson.. we need more people here to go wheelin with! We're sick of getting dirty looks from all the fords, toyotas, and jeeps that wheel out here. (Mostly Eli posts on here.. sometimes Jessica... Sometimes both of us at the same time.) SO STAY CONFUSED!! :banana:

Okay, just to clarify things here.. "SuBrat84" is Eli (the guy, 22) and Jessica (the sexiness leaning up against the 82 GL in the pics, 20) We are engaged to be married on May 13th 2006. Neither of us are fat, or balding. Jessica says she is not offended. :-p And yah, you SHOULD move to Tucson.. we need more people here to go wheelin with! We're sick of getting dirty looks from all the fords, toyotas, and jeeps that wheel out here. (Mostly Eli posts on here.. sometimes Jessica... Sometimes both of us at the same time.) SO STAY CONFUSED!! :banana:
Aaaah..clarification. :) and I do believe I will stay confused. For some reason, it doesnt take much to do that to me nowadays. :rolleyes:

Does Jessica have a sister? :brow:

I'll stop trashing the thread and go play in traffic now.

If you really don't want to take actual money in the interist of being a good samaritan, and she wants to give you something for fixing her car, let the lady buy you dinner (or subaru parts!:grin: ). I work on cars all the time and barter for stuff rather than get cash.

Yeah. Single mom, two kids.. has a crush on her female history teacher. Good luck though... :lol:

Nothin wrong with the single mom part.. but that second part just about answers the question now doesnt it. :lol: I guess I'll stay in Florida, as theres plenty of "interesting" folks here. :rolleyes: