Ultimate Subaru Message Board

low rpms at idle

my 92 loyale idles at around 200-400 rpms at idle. Is this normal? The car runs great but this seems a bit low to me. It used to idle up above 1000. Wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong. Thanks a lot.

It's probably something to do with the Idle Air Controller, which is part of the throttle body assembly on your car. As a start, try jiggling the wires and connections that go to the throttle body assembly. There is also a small adjustment screw on the side of the IAC that sets the base idle setting.

I've also heard about people cleaning the IAC, but I'm not really sure how. I guess they tend to get gummed up, not allowing the proper amount of air through.

If it hessitated when you put your foot on the gas i would have told you it might have been the injectors. but this isn't the case. I am going to side with snowman and try the IAC valve. These things get junked up over time. I replaced the one on my camaro (i know i know) and it idled a lot better. Hope this helps. And again if it doesn't you didn't spend too much. The IAC valve should cost no more than 30 bucks at an auto parts store.