Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale Running Rough

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone for all of the help. I finally got the EA-82 back into my 93 Loyale and it is running somewhat.

I eventually got the timing somewhat right in my 93 Loyale so it turned over and runs. The only thing is that it runs really rough and seems to be louder than before I pulled it. It even dies if I just leave it iddling for a while. I am thinking that the ignition timing is off a little still. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to go about getting the timing right on? I was thinking about getting a timing light. Would that solve my problem? Also other than the ignition timing what could be making it run so rough and loud now? Before I pulled it I had really no problems with it idling quietly. Any help would be appreciated as I am thinking about brining it in to a shop to have it looked at but would rather not do that. Thanks.

I am thinking the loudness could be related to the exhaust system gaskets - but it could be other things too.

Yes, you will probably need to set timing, and a timing light would be useful for that. After that, I would check for a vacuum leak.

Good Luck!

I am pretty sure that I put the timing belts on right. I did it wrong in the first place because I timed them both at 12. I then pulled the passenger side belt off and place it at 6 when the drivers side was at 12 and the flexplate was lined up in the middle of the three lines.

time to pull the codes from the computer - if it is really running rough, it should have them

BTW - are your spark plug wires on correctly? and the condition of all your plugs, wires, cap, rotor are OK? it sounds like you really just need to set the timing on it.

How would I go about pulling the codes? I am pretty sure like you said that it is mainly just the fact that the timing is really off. How hard is it to use a timing light? The reason I ask is because I have never worked with one. Thanks for the help.

How hard is it to use a timing light? The reason I ask is because I have never worked with one. Thanks for the help.

easy - with the engine off - remove the spare tire, look on the bellhousing between the engine/transmission - I don't know how it is marked for automatic cars, but manuals have degree markings on the flywheel, turn your engine over by hand until you come to the proper one (for 20-degrees before top dead center) - mark with chalk or whiteout the line for that mark - set up the timing light as instructed, placing sensor on the wire for cylinder #1 - now plug in your test connectors (two green connectors near winshield wiper motor under the hood) and start the car - point the light at the flywheel, and adjust the distributor until you have the pointer for the flywheel lined up with the mark for 20-degrees BTDC - I think all that is covered here:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

look under EA82 - it should cover adjusting timing and pulling codes from the ECU, your car is SPFI - though it is a different year, all SPFI systems are virtually identical, so the info should be correct for your car

Good Luck!