Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does any one make a locker for a Suby?

Guest Overkiller

Its been awhile since ive chased air locker info but iirc ARB makes an air locker for the r200 diffs, not inexpensive and a difficult mod to a subi

heres the set up, arb is in Au http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=r200

some of the better info I ran into on the r series diffs http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=49194

Edited by T'subaru

I know of a locker!!!!!

I call BS.....I also know of many lockers, but none for the R160

Its been awhile since ive chased air locker info but iirc ARB makes an air locker for the r200 diffs' date=' not inexpensive and a difficult mod to a subi

heres the set up, arb is in Au http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=r200

some of the better info I ran into on the r series diffs http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=49194[/quote']

I'm aware of this mod and I think that its covered earlier in the thread. It was acknowledged, but ultimately dismissed, because the thread is about a locker for the R160 Subaru diff, not modding another diff in.

I call BS.....I also know of many lockers, but none for the R160

I'm aware of this mod and I think that its covered earlier in the thread. It was acknowledged, but ultimately dismissed, because the thread is about a locker for the R160 Subaru diff, not modding another diff in.

Um....not according to the title of this thread...and to be honest I didnt read the entire thread before posting as I know that lockers dont exist for the r160's ;)

Um....not according to the title of this thread...and to be honest I didnt read the entire thread before posting as I know that lockers dont exist for the r160's ;)

Title of this thread:

Subarus didn't come with R200's:grin:

Title of this thread:

Subarus didn't come with R200's:grin:

Ill give ya that:grin: And my ea82 wagon didnt come with something near 240 whp but its getting it, sometimes to get to where your going you need to think outside the box :)

Ive read that they could be built but there would need to be a large number of people willing to spend alot of $'s. A commercialy available locker for the r160 would be sweet though

Edited by T'subaru

Ill give ya that:grin: And my ea82 wagon didnt come with something near 240 whp but its getting it' date=' sometimes to get to where your going you need to think outside the box :)

Ive read that they could be built but there would need to be a large number of people willing to spend alot of $'s. A commercialy available locker for the r160 would be sweet though[/quote']

I hear that! If you don't have what you need, you improvise:grin:

A R160 locker would be sweet, even an aussie locker would be great(and cheap). After reading this entire thread months ago, I decided to weld my rear diff(lincoln locker) and run one axle when on the road.

I know of a locker!!!!!

So tell us already:grin:

Subaruby over on ausubi has one in the rear of his MY - it's an unlocker similar to the detroit, a short run that were made by a rally mob over in Australia I believe. Either way they're worth their weight in gold and no one makes them anymore :( It is an r160 too. Probably doesn't work the best with AWD though.

Might just be a matter of fabbing front hubs from a Toyota truck on, or maybe even swap the entire Toyota IFS over.

Could work for some, a lot of effort! But for me it's not going to work as I'm going to be running AWD for better traction in all situations.

Ive read that they could be built but there would need to be a large number of people willing to spend alot of $'s. A commercialy available locker for the r160 would be sweet though

I've enquired with McNamara Diff's in Melbourne. Yes they can do it not a problem... IF WE HAD 500 ORDERS OF $1000 A UNIT!!! Then it would be simple after all the crap of gathering the half a million from 500 members to get it happening! Then there's postage etc to deal with...

I'd love to do it, but I just don't have that money lying around :rolleyes: and can't find 500 members with $AU1000 to hand over for the unit. I could probably find 500 members who are keen but once it comes to putting the money up everyone backs out as usual :(

Cheers

Bennie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was just reading some stuff, and found out that some Audi's in the 80's had manual center diff and rear diff lockers... i'm wondering how hard it would be to convert one of these setups for a subaru.. hmmm....

And there we have it folks, the solution.

A VW Quantum Synchro Wagon came in to the junkyard yesterday, so I did a bit of research on it, and ripped the rear diff out of it today.

You will need to build mounts for it, and splice the VW driveshaft and inner axles to the subaru outer axles and driveshaft, but none of that is too difficult with the moustache bar mounting system in the old subarus. It would be a bit harder in the legacy/imp gen subarus, but I'm sure it could be done.

The Quantum Synchro's have 4.11 rear diffs in them with a locker run by a vacuum acutator that hooks to a lever sticking out of the diff. Easy to replace the vacuum canister with a cable to the center console. Or, you could use the shifter/button, vacuum solenoids and wiring setup out of a pushbutton 4x4 subaru to run the rear diff lock. Would be pretty swanky to lock the rear diff with a push of a button on the top of the shifter.

Audi 5000 quattro's have 3.89 rear diffs with the same locking system.

I'll get some pictures of the audi/vw rear diff in comparison to a subaru rear diff, but it is a bit bulkier in height and width than the subaru one owing to it's aluminum case rather than the r160 cast iron one.

But it's a relatively compact independent suspension rear diff with the right ratios and a locker.

Here's what you're looking for in a junkyard:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/5000/86-5000.shtml

Edited by WoodsWagon

And there we have it folks, the solution.

A VW Quantum Synchro Wagon came in to the junkyard yesterday, so I did a bit of research on it, and ripped the rear diff out of it today.

You will need to build mounts for it, and splice the VW driveshaft and inner axles to the subaru outer axles and driveshaft, but none of that is too difficult with the moustache bar mounting system in the old subarus. It would be a bit harder in the legacy/imp gen subarus, but I'm sure it could be done.

The Quantum Synchro's have 4.11 rear diffs in them with a locker run by a vacuum acutator that hooks to a lever sticking out of the diff. Easy to replace the vacuum canister with a cable to the center console. Or, you could use the shifter/button, vacuum solenoids and wiring setup out of a pushbutton 4x4 subaru to run the rear diff lock. Would be pretty swanky to lock the rear diff with a push of a button on the top of the shifter.

Audi 5000 quattro's have 3.89 rear diffs with the same locking system.

I'll get some pictures of the audi/vw rear diff in comparison to a subaru rear diff, but it is a bit bulkier in height and width than the subaru one owing to it's aluminum case rather than the r160 cast iron one.

But it's a relatively compact independent suspension rear diff with the right ratios and a locker.

Here's what you're looking for in a junkyard:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/5000/86-5000.shtml

You lucky bastard, that's a sweet find! How much did the diff run ya?

I haven't paid for it yet, the yard owner is a friend. Probably $20-40. He junks cars for the scrap metal weight, not the parts. The Quantum came in yesterday, and it's been crushed and headed out to the shredder tomorrow morning. Any money he makes off parts is tax free and play money, not part of the business.

Even so, finding a rear diff in a U-pull-it yard should be pretty cheap. I used the torch, so it was pretty quick to pull out, but you could do it with wrenches and a cordless sawzall in an afternoon.

I will take comparison pictures tomorrow, it's too dark to get them tonight. It should be an easy fit in a lifted subaru because that buys you more clearance to the gas tank for the bigger diff.

Are you installing that in your car? The QSW (quantum syncro wagon) rear diff has a shorter pinion extension, but the rear half of the case looks the same.

Here's a good reference site for looking up the quattro rear diff ratios:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/

Looks like 3.7, 3.9, and 4.11 ratios are all used in different years and models of Audi's, so that's the most common subaru ratios covered.

With some junkyard hunting, turning up the right ratio locking rear diff should be possible.

Edited by WoodsWagon

Comparison pics:

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3235

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3234

This diff is out of a Quantum Syncro Wagon, so it has a CV attaching the driveshaft to the pinion rather than a flange like the Audi 5000's have. The VW/Audi axles are hollow, so it should be pretty easy to sleeve the subaru axles into the inside of them and weld.

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3233

Notice the Audi CV cups are actually a bit closer together than the Subaru ones, so there's no problem with axle length being too short.

The diff is a bit taller than the subaru one, but a lifted subaru puts more space between the diff and the gastank normally, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here's an explanation of the locking lever, it moves about an inch from side to side to lock and unlock. There is no detents, so you need to make sure your actuator/cable/lever holds it all the way in each position. There is a light switch to turn on an indicator that it's locked.

picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3236

Yes, my drawing skills suck using a touchpad laptop mouse and Paint.