Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Subaru Brat

Let's discuss the Brat.

Brats were in production from 1977-1986 (Classified as 78's - 87's)

There were 2 generations and body styles made. 1977-81 and 1982-1986

Turbo models were made in 83 and 84 (I believe) and were automatics.

Keep the info coming! I have a few questions about the Brat:

1) Anyone know the production numbers of the Brat?

2) Were there GL models for 78-80 models? How were they classified?

gen 1 brats were the only ones (some 81 i think) that came with a dualrange in the gen 1 bodys(stage 2 i think its called)

the trany is a dual range 4speed with the 4wd shifter INFRONT of the 5speed shift not behind like the 80-84 hatches and brats that had the 4wd shifter back by the ebrake handle..

81 brats also could have the ea81 with a top center mounted starter so its the only ea81 that would just bolt into an early trany with the center mount starter.

The GL Gen 1 brats had the quad headlight set up and a techometer along with some other stuffs. The Gen 2 turbo brats were 83.5-84 (Small diffference I know). Subaru put the jump seats in to skirt import tariffs on imported trucks. By putting the seats in the back they could call it a multi-purpose vehicle and avoid the tariffs. In Japan the brat was used as an agricultural vehicle.

This is the best guide you will find for brats (Be aware that its a pdf file)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/Brats.pdf

Why did subaru give the brat jump seats? Insurence reasons?

(SP)

I have a '81 / dual range / EA81 / GL BRAT

Subaru gave the Brat jump seats so they wouldn't have to pay import tax on a 4wd "truck" ... with the jump seats it's classified as a passenger car. (At least that is the information I found on it.)

The 1981 Brat GL's were the only generation 1 Brats to have the Dual Range Transmission. they were also the only Brats to have the EA81 engines. All other Gen 1 Brats were EA71 models with the Single Range Transmission.

Some Gen 1 brats had just large round single headlights (1 on each side)

not sure if they were the "DL" model or what, but I can get a picture of a white one with a high roll bar and pushbar if wanted.

Hmmm historic forum, I've never had anything older than 82, time to get me a Gen 1 :brow:

The Gen 1 brats had the quad headlight set up and a techometer along with some other stuffs. The Gen 2 turbo brats were 83.5-84 (Small diffference I know). Subaru put the jump seats in to skirt import tariffs on imported trucks. By putting the seats in the back they could call it a multi-purpose vehicle and avoid the tariffs. In Japan the brat was used as an agricultural vehicle.

This is the best guide you will find for brats (Be aware that its a pdf file)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/Brats.pdf

eckyThat Brings me to another question, Is the brat a car or a truck?

i dunno about you people in the states but i have to have it as a pick-up...

tailgatewagongen 1 brats were the only ones (some 81 i think) that came with a dualrange in the gen 1 bodys(stage 2 i think its called)

the trany is a dual range 4speed with the 4wd shifter INFRONT of the 5speed shift not behind like the 80-84 hatches and brats that had the 4wd shifter back by the ebrake handle..

81 brats also could have the ea81 with a top center mounted starter so its the only ea81 that would just bolt into an early trany with the center mount starter.

unfortunatly i looked into the top-mounted starter on the 81(because i was looking to swap a d/r into my 79 while keeping the EA71)... and i found an 81 with the d/r and the EA81 in it...

its side mounted...:(

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5567&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

see... i was pissed... but hey, pictures don't lie... except for photo-shop... photo-shop can making lieing pictures... anyway...

and i really like the full size spare tire under the hood... what year(s?) did that go to?

You got my vote for truck! I don't care what the import tax authorities think! :grin:

I spoke to an officer from an old car club yesterday about the classification of my Brat for an upcoming show. I have to enter mine in the antique truck class even though there's a foreign class. hmmm... wonder if there's a prize for "not expected to last longer than the warranty"? He did mention I'd be the only Brat there, since they rusted out years and years ago (east coast).

Being a gen 1 owner for a few months.... I can say there were really good offroad, even with 155 R13 tires and single range. A few things that kinda annoyed me is the gas filler is on the drivers side and the lights don't turn off with the ignition! Waiting in line at the gas station while all the big chevys and fords filled there tanks was irritating. And I drained the battery more then once cuz I was so used to the headlight cut off ignition. haha

The Gen 1 brats had the quad headlight set up and a techometer along with some other stuffs. QUOTE] Gen 1 GL Brats got the 4 headlight system and the DL Brat only had 2 headlights. Same for the Gen 2 Brat.. GL got 4 headlights (except the model with the center 'passing' lamp) and DL's got 2 headlights. Gary

This new forum is the mutt's nuts

My congrats and thanks to all

that pushed for it's creation.

I am new to the Gen 1 and have embarked

on a seriously steep learning curve.

Any one having a FSM for the 78 series

and would like to sell it - please

PM me.

I would kindly ask

What years were the "Cyclops" third eye

"passing lamp" available?

I do not want to add anything to my 78 that was not

factory original equipment.

The sales brochure does not list it as an option

in 78.

Carfreak thanks for the way kewl .pdf link.

front.JPG

I am new to the Gen 1 and have embarked

on a seriously steep learning curve.

I would kindly ask

What years were the "Cyclops" third eye

"passing lamp" available?

I think it was 1982 only but maybe '83 too and it was only on the Gen 2 Brats and station wagons. Gary

82 was the only brat that had the factory centerlamp. rumors of Gen1's are out there, but no brochures show anything, and they were more than likely a modification with a light off a 80-81 wagon/hatch that had the lights.