Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi vs Panasonic A/C compressors

I''ve seen various threads mentioning replacing Panasonic A/C with Hitachi because Panasonic in not reliable. I have 3 EA82s - 2 with Hitachi and 1 with Panasonic that is constantly giving my trouble. I have an extra Hitachi setup (brackets, idler, compressor, etc.) and can get the hoses for the Hitachi compresor so the mechanical work is a snap. Question is are the Hitachi and Panasonic systems electrically compatable??? The connectors look the same so.... Any thing else I need to know before swaping the Hitachi in place of the Panasonic? Thanks in advance.

the entire systems are different as far as specs - the hitachi has a bigger condensor and evaporator

that said, it is probably very do-able - I (ignorantly) converted mine from Hitachi to Panasonic - worked until the Panisonic suddenly blew a seal - (that was about a week after doing the conversion, but it was a JY compressor)

the big concerns are getting the pulser assembly to hook up (I think the Hitachi pulser will work), and getting the extra cutoff switches for the Panasonic bypassed (the extra thermal one on the compressor body)

now would also be a good time to convert to R-134a - use ester oil - PAG is NOT compatible with the mineral oil currently in the system

all this said - unless you are having a problem with the panasonic - DON'T MESS WITH IT - A/C systems are finicky anyway, and if the system is working, why fix it??

If it was working, I wouldn't mess with it. I'm definitely having problems with the Panasonics. I've gone though 2 Panasonic units plus the original. Clutches went on 2 of them and I'm not sure what was wrong with the third.

I live in Subaru country - lots and lots of ea82s in the junk yards around here. The panasonic compressors are relatively rare - most have hitachi units. I've also never had a problem with the hitachi units on my other 2 ea82s so that's why I'd like to ditch the Panasonic (it was a dealer installed add on where as the 2 hitachis were factory installed).

Thanks for the info, Matt. I think I'll give it a go at it and maybe even get the condensor and evaporator from a hitachi car.

You wouldn't by any chance have a wiring diagram for the two different a/c systems?

You wouldn't by any chance have a wiring diagram for the two different a/c systems?

I do actually - I can't scan it until tomorrow though - the Haynes manual for the Subaru 1600 & 1800 MYs 1980-1994 also has the diagrams - probably the best non-FSM manual available. What year is your car by chance? I have the 1985 FSM which gives a good diagram/info on each system - I'll see how much I can scan for you - the manual has over fifty pages of info on the A/C system!!

I do actually - I can't scan it until tomorrow though - the Haynes manual for the Subaru 1600 & 1800 MYs 1980-1994 also has the diagrams - probably the best non-FSM manual available. What year is your car by chance? I have the 1985 FSM which gives a good diagram/info on each system - I'll see how much I can scan for you - the manual has over fifty pages of info on the A/C system!!

The car in question is an '89 GL wagon. Also have 87 3 door and 90 wagon. I've got the Subaru 1600 & 1800 manual. It's good on the EA81s, but seems to have little beyond some info about the engines for EA82's. Anything you could provide would be appreciated.

I've got the Subaru 1600 & 1800 manual. It's good on the EA81s, but seems to have little beyond some info about the engines for EA82's. Anything you could provide would be appreciated.

Is it the 1980-1989? that one is very bad when it comes to covering ANYTHING about the EA82, the 1980-1994 is much better, but still not as good as a FSM - someone hit my car while it was parked today :mad: - not too bad, but getting that resolved has removed any chance of me being able to scan those manuals tonight (scanner is at home, I am at school) - the jerk just drove off, and left a BIG dent in my rear driver's side door :mad: - will try to get it done tomorrow - I have exams starting this thursday (and have to move out of my dorm), so if I don't get it done this weekend, it will be the middle of next week before I can get it done

I have no doubt that the '89 is VERY different than the '85, but at least some of the specs for the '85 should be the same - I double-checked, and it looks like the two system's are actually pretty similar when it comes down to the performance characteristics, so you should be able to use the Panasonic condenser and reciever driver with the Hitachi compressor

Is it the 1980-1989? that one is very bad when it comes to covering ANYTHING about the EA82, the 1980-1994 is much better, but still not as good as a FSM -

Manual I have is the 80-89 from when I owned a couple of hatchbacks. I didn't know there was a later one. I'll check around and see if one of my friends has the later one or maybe I can pick one up somewhere.

Sorry about your wheels! No rush to do anything for me - I've got lots of other projects to deal with for awhile.