Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my Voltage Regulator broke?

Today on the way to work, i noticed my voltmeter was pegged at the red. So I turned on my headlights, put the AC on full and decreased my RPM alittle. It was able to drop the Voltage down to 15 or 16. At a red light, the voltmeter will hold steady at 14, but if I raise the RPM's, it will peg the voltmeter.

I suspect my VR is bad. And if it is, how much longer until the alternator goes out? Will a bad VR jepordise my battery?

-Brian

Definately sounds like the VR is toast. I'd recommend getting a new Alternator ASAP.

I got one at Pull A Part for $8.50, works beautifully.

On a side note, it's kind of a testament to how solid a Subaru really is. My VR went bad and I still drove it to work and home. a 50 minute commute, both ways, with the needle pegged at 18 volts. When I slapped the new alt. in, there was no lasting damage.

Must be about that time for the Soobs. On my way home today in the 3-door, we started it up, and all the idiot lights were on, and the voltage wouldn't go over 9 volts regardless of RPM. Then on the freeway the lights went out, and the voltage went up to 12 and held. So it's bout time for a new alternator.

As for overvoltage, it can boil your battery, and that is a really bad thing for the bat. Should be fixed asap.

If I keep the voltage between 12 and 16 volts will it still harm my electronic stuff?

Ive parked the car, and will replace the alt and some wiring later in the week. I am going to wire a new stereo and CB. Anyone have any wiring tips to help protect my car from exploding :)

I also have two 150watt off-road lights i need to wire too.

-Brian