Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fiberglass Parts

Does anyone have any experience with fiberglass parts? I just got an '86 Brat that I'm redoing non-stock. I'm pretty fussy, so I've decided to replace the front fenders, hood and one door.

What's the consensus of fiberglass repros? Unfortunately, there is no picture for the items.

There was someone who was trying to make fiberglass fenders and hoods and stuff a while back. I can't remember who at the moment though.:banghead: I'll see if I can search for it. I want to know about fiberglass stuff as well, my wheel wells in my 83 brat are GONE.

There was someone who was trying to make fiberglass fenders and hoods and stuff a while back. I can't remember who at the moment though.:banghead: I'll see if I can search for it. I want to know about fiberglass stuff as well, my wheel wells in my 83 brat are GONE.

Oh, they make them, and cheap! Here's the link:

http://www.autopartsland.com/productlist.cfm?model_id=353&keywords=Fender&make_id=35&search_on=description&browse=true

I'm not sure of the fit? I'll know soon enough, I'll call them tomorrow about it :)

Oh, they make them, and cheap! Here's the link:

http://www.autopartsland.com/productlist.cfm?model_id=353&keywords=Fender&make_id=35&search_on=description&browse=true

I'm not sure of the fit? I'll know soon enough, I'll call them tomorrow about it :)

Well thank you very much!! I didn't even know about that!! When you call can you ask about what colors they come in? I didn't see that at the site. Thanks!! I learn something every day!

Well thank you very much!! I didn't even know about that!! When you call can you ask about what colors they come in? I didn't see that at the site. Thanks!! I learn something every day!

I believe they are raw black fiberglassand need primer and paint. They don't have a phone number, so I'll be the guinea pig and order the fenders and hood let you know.

They quote shipping by email on a per order basis. These are pretty small and lightweight so I doubt it'll be horrendously expensive. Tim had 4 fiberglass fenders for his 1950 F-1 truck shipped here and each one is bigger than whole the front end of the brat!

I believe they are raw black fiberglassand need primer and paint. They don't have a phone number, so I'll be the guinea pig and order the fenders and hood let you know.

They quote shipping by email on a per order basis. These are pretty small and lightweight so I doubt it'll be horrendously expensive. Tim had 4 fiberglass fenders for his 1950 F-1 truck shipped here and each one is bigger than whole the front end of the brat!

Are you sure these are fiberglass? I thought they were steel repops.

After a quick search, the prices can only be for fiberglass, I don't think they produce steel parts for the old subes anymore.

Steel fenders fetch about 4 times the price. It would be preferrable if they were steel, but fiberglass will work and never rust.

I saw several websites offering the fenders only, the fenders were comparable pricing, altho those sites typically charge $15.00 more for the driver's side. Those sites did have pictures and they are black fiberglass.

After a quick search, the prices can only be for fiberglass, I don't think they produce steel parts for the old subes anymore.

Steel fenders fetch about 4 times the price. It would be preferrable if they were steel, but fiberglass will work and never rust.

I saw several websites offering the fenders only, the fenders were comparable pricing, altho those sites typically charge $15.00 more for the driver's side. Those sites did have pictures and they are black fiberglass.

sweet :)

There are a few places that sell replacment parts http://www.myautobodyparts.com/PartKeyword.cfm?model_id=353&make_id=35

http://www.2autobodyparts.com/PartKeyword.cfm?model_id=353&make_id=35

Whats kinda strange, is the prices are the same.

The terms of sale and shipping charge policy are the same too. I assume they all buy from/or are, the same supplier and need to keep pricing competitive with each other because it is only one quality... not like Sony vs. Emerson or Goldstar for electronics.

I don't mean to be a pain but why are we discussing fiberglass parts for an 86 brat in the historic forum?

In terms of fiberglass parts, fenders at least for GEN 1 Subarus, very hard to come by. There is a place in Canada that has various body parts in both fiberglass and steel

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/

when I was looking for fenders for my gen 1, he quoted me $500 shipped...

luckily craven pointed out a set on ebay and I got them for like $250 shipped

AdamNDJ was talking about doing fiberglass body parts but I don't know what came of that.

garner

I don't mean to be a pain but why are we discussing fiberglass parts for an 86 brat in the historic forum?

This is why: "Any topic discussing Subaru models older than 1979 (1981 for Brat), or vehicle restoration techiques for any model or year Subaru."

This is why: "Any topic discussing Subaru models older than 1979 (1981 for Brat), or vehicle restoration techiques for any model or year Subaru."

oops, with all these forums, I can't keep em straight

:-\

In terms of fiberglass parts, fenders at least for GEN 1 Subarus, very hard to come by. There is a place in Canada that has various body parts in both fiberglass and steel

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/

when I was looking for fenders for my gen 1, he quoted me $500 shipped...

luckily craven pointed out a set on ebay and I got them for like $250 shipped

AdamNDJ was talking about doing fiberglass body parts but I don't know what came of that.

garner

Replacement body parts are an important part of restoration for any year.

Mary, you may want to give

Mill Supply a call

http://www.millsupply.com/

It has been said they have more parts available than

the catalog shows.

Here is a .pdf file of their Brat parts page

ftp://www.rustrepair.com:24/subaru.pdf

Skip,

I called Mill Supply today... no fenders or hoods.

I did hear from autopartsland.com and found the answers. The parts are exact replicas of the original parts and made in Taiwan from the same material. In short, the hood is steel the fenders are steel. All the better... I was psyched!

They only gave me a lump sum for shipping, I did have a hood in the order so, I imagine that took up a goodly chunk of the total. The order came to around $167. and the shipping was $147.00 or so... for 2 fenders, a H/L door and a hood.

I cancelled the order, when I looked back and realized it wasn't a door skin, it's a Head Lamp door... don't make that mistake! I will place it again tonight and let you know.

I just looked a little further at the showcars-bodypart.com website.

check out this page

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/subaru.html

kind of hard to decipher but they seem to have a lot of body parts for subarus, especially gen 2 and newer. best to call them up as they are not really an "e-commerce" kind of place.

I think the guy I taled to there was named Tom. Hope that helps. They are in Canada but on your side of it atleast.

garner

YO JIBS!!! It was probably me that you were thinking of. I am in working progress on a few different parts that I am reproducing in Fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) <-- just a fancy name for fiberglass. ie.. hood fender/ fender flairs for lifted rigs, mabe tailgates if i can pull it off. also I am going to attempt to build an FRP truck bed cover that will allow people to still sit in the back of the brat without removing the cover. I will let you know as the project progresses.

If you have any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I cannot help you if you dont!

Thanks alot

The price for the parts wont be cheap but I am NOT going to OVERCHARGE anyone. It will be; cost of parts + cost of labor + shipping. I am an honest member of the USAF that wants to keep these bad little trucks on the road!

I ordered the parts from http://www.autopartsland.com and received an email that the left fender was "backordered". They have shipped the hood and right fender and I should receive them on Wednesday. The shipment weight was 90 lbs. and is coming via DHL to a commercial address which is usually cheaper than residential delivery.

It's a little unnerving that they are very secretive with their phone number... all contact is through email, even the DHL shipping confirmation carries a phone number of (999) 999-9999. I did pay with a credit card so any problems will be resolved through my CC company.

I scoured the internet looking for the left front fender... every place I called said "it's been discontinued". Huh? Why make a hood and right fender and discontinue the left?

I'll let you know quality etc. when I receive them.

YO JIBS!!! It was probably me that you were thinking of. I am in working progress on a few different parts that I am reproducing in Fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) <-- just a fancy name for fiberglass. ie.. hood fender/ fender flairs for lifted rigs, mabe tailgates if i can pull it off. also I am going to attempt to build an FRP truck bed cover that will allow people to still sit in the back of the brat without removing the cover. I will let you know as the project progresses.

If you have any suggestions PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I cannot help you if you dont!

Thanks alot

The price for the parts wont be cheap but I am NOT going to OVERCHARGE anyone. It will be; cost of parts + cost of labor + shipping. I am an honest member of the USAF that wants to keep these bad little trucks on the road!

Great. I'd like flared fenders. Thats about it. keep us informed.