Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power or not

It's personal preference (obviously). I used to be of the opinion that I did not want power steering in my subarus. They are small and light enough to where I felt that the small increase in convenience wasn't worth the stuff extra under the hood and something else to go wrong.

BUT, I recently started driving around in an older GL-10 sedan that I picked up to fix up and donate to a friend in need. MAN that power steering is sweet. Now when I drive around in my GL wagon without power steering I really miss it.

So my vote is power.

power. i've had a number of XT6's with 200,000+ miles with all original components (except the brushes of course). never had to touch a rack or tie rob or anything, so they seem reliable enough. never had a belt driven subaru p/s pump though.

Another nice thing about the power pumps on the EA82's is that they are so easy to rebuild-restore. 25 bucks for OEM kit, or just buy a seal down at a bearing house.

Just did one that sprung a leak.

I used to have an 87 4x4 Toyota PU with no power steering. It was an arm breaken' bitc#.

Seems like the bigger tires the worse that is.

Pyro

I used to have an 87 4x4 Toyota PU with no power steering. It was an arm breaken' bitc#.

Seems like the bigger tires the worse that is.

Pyro

pfffttt... try driving a 76 k5 blazer with 44's in downtown traffic and have the ps belt blow apart.... ooof

my main reason is i have this 85 wagon i am cutting on and it has the manual rack in it and even with flat tires it seems as easy to turn as my power rack does

well at least to me

:)