Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So what's your opinion about JDM engines?

Considering my engine options for the RX. Really not thrilled about the used engine the seller is offering to put in the car for free- I'm thinking I may just having him pay me the money he was going to spend on it, and find an engine myself.

I've seen several EA82T's listed on Ebay. They say they're JDM imports with 30-40,000 miles on them. I can get one for about $800 shipped.

What's your opinion of these engines? Good? Crap? Anyone have experience with one of these importers?

I've spoken with CCR, and I've heard tons and tons of good things about their engines. I really would like to just use one of their rebuilt units- but, I can't afford it without help. If I can get some financial help with it, I probably will just go with one of theirs.

But, these JDM engines on ebay seem like they could be a good deal- and I definitely can afford one.

Suggestions?

a long time ago..... i got an engine from a JDM importer (not on ebay but through my garageman) and it was a darn good engine and also one time I got a 4EAT through the same company and it rocked too. The engine was a 2.2 though and the trans. was a legacy 4EAT.....

Matt

aside from changing the sensors and accessories, the japanese use a paraffin based motor oil as they have little to no domestic petroleum resources. you may want to accelerate your oil change schedule at first and run some seafoam and/or MMO to clean out the crankcase.. cleaning and refilling the hydraulic lifters would be a great idea... good luck.

I have a JDM in my subaru and it has given me thousands of miles hassle free rallying. It's finally blowing blue smoke though:banghead:

I had an engine that was imported and was claimed to be goo turn out to be junk. Be aware that some of these engines will probably be bad.

Considering my engine options for the RX. Really not thrilled about the used engine the seller is offering to put in the car for free- I'm thinking I may just having him pay me the money he was going to spend on it, and find an engine myself.

I've seen several EA82T's listed on Ebay. They say they're JDM imports with 30-40,000 miles on them. I can get one for about $800 shipped.

What's your opinion of these engines? Good? Crap? Anyone have experience with one of these importers?

I've spoken with CCR, and I've heard tons and tons of good things about their engines. I really would like to just use one of their rebuilt units- but, I can't afford it without help. If I can get some financial help with it, I probably will just go with one of theirs.

But, these JDM engines on ebay seem like they could be a good deal- and I definitely can afford one.

Suggestions?

If going e-bay read the feedback comments, and how do you resolve a problem should one arise, doesn't matter if 95 motors out of a hundred are great if yours is a dud and you get to remove-replace it twice and maybe pay shipping twice. Bought one a few years ago not on e-bay and it turned out fine...Pesky

I had a JDM engine in my 86 Turbo Sedan (it was in there when I purchased the car) but I have no idea how many miles it had on it. I ran it for two years averaging over 15K a year with no problems. I was going to rebuild it, but got a good deal from CCR Inc. so I used it as a core engine. There was no real reason to rebuild the engine, I think resealing it would have solved all of the oil leak problems.

aside from changing the sensors and accessories, the japanese use a paraffin based motor oil as they have little to no domestic petroleum resources. you may want to accelerate your oil change schedule at first and run some seafoam and/or MMO to clean out the crankcase.. cleaning and refilling the hydraulic lifters would be a great idea... good luck.

if you are worried about paraffin wax in the oil, dont use oil from pennsylvania, like quakerstate or pynnsoil, or their side companies, they have wax in em as well. if you are worried about the engine already being run with a waxy oil, just keep it running with waxy oil, as long as you dont change it to a non waxy oil, it shouldnt build up or cause any issues.