Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I cleaned my engine compartment with some degreaser and H20 this weekend, and had no engine or electrical problems, even right after cleaning.

Today my alternator light and brake light come on whenever the engine rpm is below 2500. Above 2500, they both turn off.

My question is, why the alternator and brake lamp? How are they connected?

Is this an instrument panel issue or an alternator issue? I haven't tested the voltage output yet, as I am at work. I can get an alternator for 50 or 60 bucks, maybe I'll just replace it and see what happens.

Matt D

Thanks for the info. I did a little checking last night and found no output from the alternator at any RPM.

I don't know why the light went out on the instrument panel when the RPM was over 2500, becaue the voltage did not increase.

I'm glad I checked it, because I would have been stranded if the battery went dead today. Luckily I have a spare vehicle to get around in.

Matt D

Thanks for the info. I did a little checking last night and found no output from the alternator at any RPM.

I don't know why the light went out on the instrument panel when the RPM was over 2500, becaue the voltage did not increase.

I'm glad I checked it, because I would have been stranded if the battery went dead today. Luckily I have a spare vehicle to get around in.

Matt D

Mine did the same thing.

Check to see if your car is covered by a service bulletin to replace the alternator for free. My '96 wagon was.