Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut questions

WoodsWagon

My dad's car, a 1995 Legacy Brighton w/ 2.2L, is leaking shock oil from all four struts. The struts seem to function fine, but its definiately time for new ones. The car, being a brighton, rides kinda low, and the outbacks seem to ride higher. What raises the suspension hight on the outbacks, the strut body or the springs? I was figuring it would be the strut body, and since all this would be being replaced, I could gain some ride height by putting in outback struts. Does anyone know if my scheme would work? I know people have been putting outback struts on impreza's to lift them up a bit.

My dad's car, a 1995 Legacy Brighton w/ 2.2L, is leaking shock oil from all four struts. The struts seem to function fine, but its definiately time for new ones. The car, being a brighton, rides kinda low, and the outbacks seem to ride higher. What raises the suspension hight on the outbacks, the strut body or the springs? I was figuring it would be the strut body, and since all this would be being replaced, I could gain some ride height by putting in outback struts. Does anyone know if my scheme would work? I know people have been putting outback struts on impreza's to lift them up a bit.

i've done it. Me and SuperU. 1996 Legacy LS, now has outback struts. The springs are the same. also, your tires are much smaller than outback tires. Outback tires are 205/70R15. So, get outback struts, and 205/70r15 tires and you've got a 2.2 outback.

i've done it. Me and SuperU. 1996 Legacy LS, now has outback struts. The springs are the same. also, your tires are much smaller than outback tires. Outback tires are 205/70R15. So, get outback struts, and 205/70r15 tires and you've got a 2.2 outback.

which brand,an where'd you get em? did a quick search an couldn't find anything decent as far as aggresive tread.

• 1 month later...

Hells yeah! The brighton just made a big leap down the road to de-brightonization. spent the past 2 afternoons working on it, and the KYB GR2 outback struts are in. totaly bolt in, perfect fit. not bad for an amature mechanic using a pit instead of a lift. I'm proud of myself, it only took 10 hours total for all four corners, and that was with rusted brake lines and bleeder screws in the back. I used the sawzall trick in the front, so I didn't have to take the flexline off the front. The car rides way better, no float in washboard any more. Feels nicer being 2" higher. Now it only needs a skidplate and tachometer.