Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's Up with Gen 1 Air Conditioning?

I am under the impression that Gen 1 Subarus did not come from the factory with AC and that it was added as a dealer option.

correct?

On my 79 Brat (quad headlights/round speedo and tach I don't know DL/GL)

When I bought it it had AC with the exception of the compressor and reciever/dryer. I had no desire to try to rework it and get it running again so I remover all the AC related stuff and replaced various interior parts with non AC parts.

In the process I took a good look at the AC compressor bracket which looks basically like a home made part. Alot of the other portions of the AC system are also very "Non-OEM" looking. The odd thing is that the heater/AC control panel looks pretty much factory....

I guess I'm just curious about what is known about AC on Gen 1s. Were AC kits built up and shipped to dealers to install or was it a totally independent install?

btw, like I stated I have basically an entire Gen 1 AC system minus compressor and reciever dryerif anyone is interested in AC on their Gen 1...

garner

See this thread for some info: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35483

The mounts do look hand made. They all look like that.

The interior heater control panal was the only thing that was "factory looking". Subaru did make that panal, preplaced holes in the firewall and left a hole below the instrument cluster for the control. However, some controls were behind the fan switch.

Subaru did not import the parts for AC. They were contracted out stateside and a few different kits were offered. "Lone star" was one. There were 2 compressors offered. I have both kits in my collection of cars. The Sanden 507 was the best compressor. The mini York was not as efficient.

What do you want for you evaporator and condenser?

Todd

doh, I'm a morron.... :banghead: didn't think to search a forum that is so new.....could have just looked a little closer to the thread list.....

Thanks for the info Todd. If I remember correctly I have a "Lone Star" system. It all makes sense now that the whole system looks like an after thought.

I need to take a look and make a list of the parts that I have that are AC related. Since my Brat has taken a "non-original" route there are lots of bits left over that need to get into the hands of purists (my next one will be bone stock restoration I swear)

pm me about the evap and cond.

garner