Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First off I would like to say I appreciate the help from everyone. The only relays in the power panel in the engine compartment are for the headlights. There are 4 of them. I'll see if I can find those 3 relays above the fuse panel Olnick was talking about.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your welcome for the help Reason01.

After looking at my manual again I noticed that I made a mistake. Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't show the rear illumination relay in the fuse panel that is in the engine compartment. It shows it as the middle one in the other fuse panel, which I assume is mounted in the dash somewhere. The manual doesn't really show the panel location except for some connectors on the far left side of the dash. There are 21 regular fuses on one side of the panel and the three relays are are on the other end of the panel. Is your interior fuse panel different?

The drawing for the engine fuse panel shows 4 relays in a row for the A/C system and at one end of the panel there are 2 relays for the headlights.

Reason01 and Olnick,

I see you guys are on line. Any comments before I hit the sack?

Uhhh . . . nighty-night, sleep tight?

(Sorry, Cougar, I couldn't resist. I musta' bailed just before you posted that!)

Well I got a pretty good rest though it was too short. Both you guys were looking at the thread so I thought I would ask since I posted a revision to my post about the fuse panel. Reason01 must have had a real late night since he is on the east coast.

So... can someone tell me if the interior fuse panel is on the side of the dash, on the driver's side? If not, where is it? My factory supplement manual is good but it is not complete. Curious tech minds need to know!

Well I found the relay, I took it out and tried to take reading. I can't get my hands pass all the wires. It's a real tight squeeze. When I took the relay out and put it back in I heard clicking. What does that mean? did it when I checked the fuses too.

Thanks for telling me the location of the fuse panel. Was the relay in the fuse panel? If you see three little boxes in a row inside, on one end of the panel, those are the relays and the one you want is in the middle. The clicking you heard means that there is voltage getting to the relay coil and it is turning on. The relay contacts may be bad though but it appears the coil is good at least. You may be able to swap the relay with one of the others to see if that helps.

Guys--not to be a "told-you-so," but I posted the location of that relay a week ago (post #22)!

The 3-in-a-row relays are not in the fuse BOX, but are on the same PANEL, at the top.

Reason01, if you got the middle relay out can you now swap one of the other relays into that position? If the lights work then you'll know that it was, in fact, a bad relay.

Guys--not to be a "told-you-so," but I posted the location of that relay a week ago (post #22)!

The 3-in-a-row relays are not in the fuse BOX, but are on the same PANEL, at the top.

Reason01, if you got the middle relay out can you now swap one of the other relays into that position? If the lights work then you'll know that it was, in fact, a bad relay.

Yea I read post 22, but I didn't see it at first behind all the wires. There are 3 relays above the fuse panel in the car. They go left from right. Once I can read the other three I'll just give a heads up on what they say. I seen the middle one no problem, its hard to get my hands in there. I didn't think about putting one of the other in there to see if it works but I will do it in the morning. Should I clean the contacts on the relay? I have an electrical contact cleaner. They look like they are in good shape already. At least we are moving in the right direction lol

in your signiture. It says you have JDM tailights. A couple of things are possble here. Perhaps you have more load on the circuit, or a wire shorted due to moving them around in installation. I still think something caused the relay to fail.

in your signiture. It says you have JDM tailights. A couple of things are possble here. Perhaps you have more load on the circuit, or a wire shorted due to moving them around in installation. I still think something caused the relay to fail.

All I did with the tails were switch the housings. There was no rewiring necessary. I had them for well over a year. I'm 110% sure it's not the JDM tails that screwed it up.

then it should not be the problem. A lot of folks have been having trouble with switching in larger bulbs with more draw. This tends to cause melted wires and blown fuses.

I don't have larger bulbs. My bulbs are factory specs. I just need to find out what is between the relay and the bulbs. If it's just wire I need to find the short somewhere.

I've been following this post and will be nostalgic when it's gone!

Anyway, is it possible to test the relay any other way than as described in this post? If there is a short, might it not cook this other "swapped in" relay as well? Now you'd need 2 relays and have to still find the root cause of the problem!

I've been following this post and will be nostalgic when it's gone!

Anyway, is it possible to test the relay any other way than as described in this post? If there is a short, might it not cook this other "swapped in" relay as well? Now you'd need 2 relays and have to still find the root cause of the problem!

The other relay I swapped it with is for the main fan, which is still in use! Next you will ask me if I checked the fuse? or change the bulb right?

Sorry guys I'm tired and frustraded

Well, I went back and didn't see that you had actually tried to swap in a different relay?? I was trying to prevent more trouble with my suggestion.

Oh, by the way, have you tested the fuse or changed any bulbs?;)

Seriously, there have been some fairly exhaustive scenarios presented and questions posed. I would suggest you slow that buggy down, start again and

1. Check owners manual for normal expected operation of your Veehickle.

2. Change the damn fuses or at least remove them and test them in your hand

3. Start at the battery and jump power to the light

4. Once you know the bulbs work (I'm sure they do as they are all brandy new) remove the fuse and gradually work backward from the light with a jumper from the battery at each junction until you lose power to the bulb.

Remember that you can keep cutting that same board and it will still be too short.I don't mean to be a wise rump roast, just speaking from my own history of persistent yet stubborn failure.

Good luck.

The other relay I swapped it with is for the main fan, which is still in use! Next you will ask me if I checked the fuse? or change the bulb right?

Sorry guys I'm tired and frustraded

Yea brus brother, I'm going to check the relay with a voltage meter. My friend is an electrician and he gave me a crash course on how to read it. As for the fuses I went through them and changed them too. I checked/replaced the bulbs, fuses and relay so many times you can see how I'm frustrated. There is no power going to the bulb harness. I want to check some wires, I wish I knew where the wires ran to the back.

demonic possession?

good luck. please post back with solution.

Yea brus brother, I'm going to check the relay with a voltage meter. My friend is an electrician and he gave me a crash course on how to read it. As for the fuses I went through them and changed them too. I checked/replaced the bulbs, fuses and relay so many times you can see how I'm frustrated. There is no power going to the bulb harness. I want to check some wires, I wish I knew where the wires ran to the back.

I traced the wires from the relay to the backseat. The wires look good and see no defects. I think I'm just going to give up and take it somewhere to get checked. I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out. As soon as I find out what was wrong I'll post it up. Thanks

Looks can be deceiving. Did you use an ohmmeter to test for continuity/resistance? This is the only predictable way to check for a break in the wire. Let us know if you are unsure of how to use a multitester.

I traced the wires from the relay to the backseat. The wires look good and see no defects. I think I'm just going to give up and take it somewhere to get checked. I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out. As soon as I find out what was wrong I'll post it up. Thanks

Looks can be deceiving. Did you use an ohmmeter to test for continuity/resistance? This is the only predictable way to check for a break in the wire. Let us know if you are unsure of how to use a multitester.

Yes and no... My friend gave me a quick walk through. He went to Canada for the week so I'm sort of in the dark. I don't know what to check really. I checked the relay and it was fine. I don't really know what to start. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.