Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX's without body kits. Any trend behind it?

As we all know, one of the features of a 1987-up RX is its sporty-looking body kit. Right? Not always.

Both 1989 black RX's that I just got have no body kits- just an air dam and wing. I have seen one other black RX running around, and it also has just the air dam and wing.

I've also seen 3 1987 RX's sporting the same trend. They were all sedans. One was silver, one was white, and one was light green- all were original paint and all had the RX VIN- and just an air dam and a wing.

The only common thread among the black ones is that every one of them was a 5-speed (autos were available on 1989 RX's). Matter of fact, every 5-speed black RX I've seen had the incomplete kit, and every automatic one I've seen had the full kit.

So what gives? Anyone know what determines an RX not having the full body kit or not?

I know this is too ancient to count, but my 86 RX sedan has no body kit at all, just the nerf spoiler and some gnarly mudflaps (not sure if these are the same as the GL-10 mudflaps, they might be).

Although they look cool, the mudflaps are actually kind of annoying, I'd have much more curb-hoppin' clearance without them! :brow: