Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A challenge has been issued...Dyno results

To me mostly.

200 All Wheel Horsepower. I've already got 205 TQ at the wheels....now I just need 40 more HP and I can break a record.

what do I need?

completely stock: engine internals, engine management, turbo, injectors...etc....

only mods will be the IC, header-TBE, boost controller, intake, radiator, and me behind the wheel. Oh and a bypassed FPR.

Hopefully...we will see if it is possible if Doug ever gets done tuning this engine swapped WRX thats on the Dyno right now....

Nope....

After several runs....this is what we maxed the car out with...mix of 8 gals 93 pump gas and 5 gallons C16 (116 octane leaded race fuel for those who dont know)

Had the 'test pipe' on...2.5" stright pipe with no cats.

Looks like this is the max with out going larger turbo or more boost (this was 15 PSI)....

wjmrxmaxout.jpg

Thats...234 hp and 312 tq at the crank. Not too bad I guess...

There past 5k where it 'skipped' with the fuel cut gremlin...it blew the probe out of the pipe, so I stopped before i got to 6500...i tohught it was full lean...lol....ofcourse its WAY too lean anyhow.

Impressive numbers considering the limited engine managment on these cars and the tiny turbo.

I'm impressed.

I can't wait to see what I put down with my GL-10.

It should be interested since I've completly reworked my ea82 with all new internals and had it blue printed and balanced as well as the heads ported and polished and a 3-angle valve job.

I'm going to try and make 3 dyno sessions.

One with the Stock Turbo and Stock Boost

Then with the TD04 Turbo & TMIC with Stock 7psi Boost

And lastly with the TD04 Turbo & TMIC with 12psi Boost

I'm not sure if I can run it daily at 12psi with the TD04 since the stock computer just isnt up to the task from what I have been reading, so I plan on trying the megasquirt ecu project.

you can run it at 10 PSI every day safely....12 on a 13g (td04) is pushing it. The injectors will probably go static at about some where around 3,500~4,000 for you at 12. 10...5k id imagine.

As you can see...at 15 PSI with the header-DP-STi TMIC on a stock VF7...2800 is where mine went. Last dyno runs it showed 4k...but the probe was after the cat.converter and way at the back of the car. This time the wideband was up front.

The time before last, I ran several runs on stock boost...10 and 12 then 14 and 15 PSI...10 and 12 was still very safe. Stock I got flat 10:1 all the way to redline. 10, same thing. 12 it went to 11:1 from 5000~6500. 14 and 15 is where it went full and dangerzone lean past 3500.

On a turbo car,once you hit boost, you want to stay at or below 12:1...ideally, Doug tunes the cars for 11:1, and on some extreme setups, 10:1 to be safe. I was very impressed with the RX at even 10 PSI to be under 12:1 to redline.

*one important lesson learned....more fuel pressure does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on stock injectors. It still went static and lean really early, in this case at 2800.

At the very least, we need 450CC injectors and a reflash for those with the stock ECU. !20 deg timing is where it needs to be for pump gas up to 15~16 psi...i was running about 25 or so...but having C16 in it helped alot. ;)

I am going to be keeping my eyes open for those nissan 300~450 injectors, and those DIS kits that are floating on ebay...MS+DIS is next.

At the very least, we need 450CC injectors

What sort of calculations did you use to come up with that number? Thats more than double the stock flow rate. Additionally, to run injectors that size, supporting mods would be required.. FPR and fuel pump at a minimum

will...

find a spare short block and have it bored. subaru still has .050 over pistons available through the dealers...that will help with the horses and torque and it will put the engine up to just under 2.0L

the one block i had in the turbo XT was .050 over and was a monster but i couldnt keep HG's on it for other reasons.

i would have loved to see what a bored block would do with those cams.

he has the stock cams still, and I don't think he wants to bore for some reason. now me on the other hand I've been thinking about something along those lines with multi-layer headgaskets, some custom ground cams..................I just wrote a page full then deleted it, but lets say it'd be a monster :)

but on the other hand I'm pretty sure some EM would be a better thing to waste money on.

What sort of calculations did you use to come up with that number? Thats more than double the stock flow rate. Additionally, to run injectors that size, supporting mods would be required.. FPR and fuel pump at a minimum

The fact that the stockers dont even flow enough at 80 PSI to keep up with 15 PSI under 3500 rpms.

and so what if I need a FPR and FP? I know I will.

No overbore for me...that will make the cyl walls even thinner and weaker.

RIght now the goal is to have the highest power EA82T in the world on stock internals-turbo-EM...etc etc...

then I will build. Even then, no over bore. Pistons, rods, crank, Cometics, special TWE cams, turbo, EM, intake manifold, air/water IC....

The next step right now is to get a better boost controller, do 1 more dyno run at see if I can get it to 170 WHP...then go EM...run some more...injectors...more runs...and then its all over. Start 'The Build.'

No overbore for me...that will make the cyl walls even thinner and weaker.

RIght now the goal is to have the highest power EA82T in the world on stock internals-turbo-EM...etc etc...

then I will build. Even then, no over bore. Pistons, rods, crank, Cometics, special TWE cams, turbo, EM, intake manifold, air/water IC....

The next step right now is to get a better boost controller, do 1 more dyno run at see if I can get it to 170 WHP...then go EM...run some more...injectors...more runs...and then its all over. Start 'The Build.'

Do you have a plan for injectors? I've been toying with the idea of getting auxillary injectors plumbed into the intake manifold, but I don't know where to even start with that...

wow, man..that's crazy lean!!!!

btw...i don't think the cylinder walls are the problem...it is a closed deck block you need to remember. The problem is with the HG's and the pistons. However with proper Engine Management, and proper A/F ratios you shouldn't have much of a problem. however ceramic coating the pistons might be a decent idea.

Remember Will it took you running 9.5:1 compression and boost to mess up anything piston related on the gl-10 and you were running the older engine management on the 85-86 cars..and if on your current setup you didn't put a hole in a piston running as lean as stock ecu does up high at 15 psi I don't think the pistons are that much of an issue..

my thoughts would be bigger turbo TD04L or so, bigger injectors for sure and

of course the most important mod IMHO is full engine management MS&EDIS seems likely..although none of those running it on ea82Ts have posted any numbers.. and I'm putting a vote in for a higher o/p fuel pump..

still I'm very impressed with those numbers from the lil engine that could..:burnout: :burnout:

Datsun 450 injectors.

Hopefully going to a dragway friday.

lean? yes. Either way, no boring other than cyl wall cleanup. HGs, EM, pistons are comming.

Are these injectors plug and go? I imagine you would have to fab a fuel rail, right? Megasquirt?

There past 5k where it 'skipped' with the fuel cut gremlin...it blew the probe out of the pipe, so I stopped before i got to 6500...i tohught it was full lean...lol....ofcourse its WAY too lean anyhow.

Ok Will, am I understanding this correctly, that a stock EA82T with a Legacy turbo leans out at high RPM? I will see 4700 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. A little rich is ok but I would be affraid lean would lead to detonation.

Subpilot

Ok Will, am I understanding this correctly, that a stock EA82T with a Legacy turbo leans out at high RPM? I will see 4700 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. A little rich is ok but I would be affraid lean would lead to detonation.

Subpilot

I dont have a lagacy VF11 turbo. I have the STOCK VF7...and was running 15 PSI. If you keep boost At or UNDER 11 PSI...you will be fine for infinity. I have run the entire Dragon and Cherohala skyway 100% at 11 PSI. Thats QUITE a beating on the car. the dragon is 11 miles, 318 turns, tight twisty road course style perfection. The Skyway is about...of...25 miles if ultra high speed road course style stuff. pretty much 85% of the Skyway is WOT....where as the Dragon is about 60%. I had no problems keeping up with a stock STi on the Dragon...skyway was...well, more of a problem but he never got more than 1/4 mile out front.

You will be safe with a VF11 at 10 PSI im sure of....especially if you've got a good intercooler setup. With no IC? Dont run more than the stock level...wish is 6.5~8 psi.