Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rock Crawling Question...

Guest RallyWagon

Guest RallyWagon

1. I have never seen a 3AT automatic and transfer case....but I was wondering, could a different transfer case (any brand) be mated to this transfer case?

2. Or is this a waste of time....does the the transfer case NOT affect the front wheel drive on Subarus?

Just thinking that an automatic with an aftermarket transfer case (4:1) could make for a great crawler.

Scott

Guest GeneralDisorder

There's no transfer case, so no - not in stock form anyway. I'm assuming your talking about the 3AT Push Button 4WD? These don't have a low gear in them, so in 4WD, they are only 4WD high. I suppose you could do something like Lumpycam, and run the rear output of the 3AT into a truck transfer case, and then a couple more drivelines going to front and rear diffs. You would need a LOT of lift, and mods to the car. It really wouldn't be a soob anymore, so no reason to use a soob motor or tranny at that point anyway - V6, and a truck tranny might be better.

GD