Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any EA63"S" engines in the USA?

Looking for any word on them.This is the dual carb'd version with 10:1 compression and a whopping 93 HP.

Naturally I'd be interested in getting one,but not right now.

Mostly I'd like to get some facts from owners or mechanics who've worked on them.Thanks for any help.

Thanks.I think I talked to that guy a while ago.I know of a couple EA63's,but I'm looking for the "S" engine.I doubt I'll find one here in the US,but just thought I'd try.Maybe one of those low mileage Japanese "s" buzzers made it over in a shipment.

Hi moosens

one of the most important parts when reconditioning the motor is the copper rings which go under the wet sleeve. These rings are very important and must be replaced or the motor will keep blowing head gaskets. I was able to get everything except valves and the copper rings. I got a set from the girl I told you about with all the old parts.I may be able to get you a set if you can't get any yourself. The valves had to be machined from different valves to fit the gsr.Does your car have the stage one cam. I know a real good machanic who worked on our type of cars in the seventies and he is still working for subaru. He put our motor together as he is one of only a hand full left who know anything about them. If I find out more I will let you know.

Looking for any word on them.This is the dual carb'd version with 10:1 compression and a whopping 93 HP.

Mostly I'd like to get some facts from owners or mechanics who've worked on them.Thanks for any help.

Hi moosens

one of the most important parts when reconditioning the motor is the copper rings which go under the wet sleeve. These rings are very important and must be replaced or the motor will keep blowing head gaskets. I was able to get everything except valves and the copper rings. I got a set from the girl I told you about with all the old parts.I may be able to get you a set if you can't get any yourself. ***Sure,please score at least one set,thanks!

The valves had to be machined from different valves to fit the gsr.Does your car have the stage one cam. ***I'll have to check.According to my vehicle ID number it's a stage 3 model.As I know it,that pertains to the body/equipement more than the engine.Correct me if I'm wrong,please.

I know a real good machanic who worked on our type of cars in the seventies and he is still working for subaru.***I've got at least one of those guys still around too.Actually I know three guys like this but they now are ALL ex-subaru Senior Master Techs....they're wedging out the old guys and installing dummies as technicians everywhere!!!

My brother was also a Subaru mechanic from around '78-83 and worked on tons of these cars.He's some help,but I really haven't played with the car much yet,so I haven't bothered him for info yet.

I might just drop in an EA71 and not worry about the car not being original.Dual carbs on that'll make it bark back at the Datsun,Toyota hombres a little louder.

Hi moosens

one of the most important parts when reconditioning the motor is the copper rings which go under the wet sleeve. These rings are very important and must be replaced or the motor will keep blowing head gaskets. I was able to get everything except valves and the copper rings. I got a set from the girl I told you about with all the old parts.I may be able to get you a set if you can't get any yourself. ***Sure,please score at least one set,thanks!

Greetings,

the issue of cylinder liner gaskets is very critical. In fact Subaru made available a range of different thickness gaskets (1.01 - 1.14mm) to ensure the correct protrusion of the cylinder liner above the deck. Probably a new one of any thickness is better than an old one.

Other aspects as I remember were getting the latest head gasket that was available... there were many revisions... once again, probably not much choice left here these daze. Also there was a special sealing goop that Subaru sold to ensure a good seal.

And of course a very precise torque down/warm up/cool down/re torque procedure.

I don't know that Subaru had any different "stage" camshaft grinds, although there may have been variations for different markets, but there were some minor timing (overlap) changes over the few years that the engine was in production. Nothing to get too excited about though.

The main constraint on the engine performance is beathing. One "upgrade" is to cut and shut the existing manifold and fit something like a Weber 40DCN. This has an additional advantage of curing the dreaded RH fuel surge that the oem carbies suffer from.

Good luck :-)

Paul,

sorry for jumping in late, but what have you got? What car has this motor? Just curious.

The 72 and 73 model GSR had stage one cam from factory. This was stopped in the later models 74s onwards. Do you still have a 74GSR.

Hi moosens

Greetings,

the issue of cylinder liner gaskets is very critical. In fact Subaru made available a range of different thickness gaskets (1.01 - 1.14mm) to ensure the correct protrusion of the cylinder liner above the deck. Probably a new one of any thickness is better than an old one.

Other aspects as I remember were getting the latest head gasket that was available... there were many revisions... once again, probably not much choice left here these daze. Also there was a special sealing goop that Subaru sold to ensure a good seal.

And of course a very precise torque down/warm up/cool down/re torque procedure.

I don't know that Subaru had any different "stage" camshaft grinds, although there may have been variations for different markets, but there were some minor timing (overlap) changes over the few years that the engine was in production. Nothing to get too excited about though.

The main constraint on the engine performance is beathing. One "upgrade" is to cut and shut the existing manifold and fit something like a Weber 40DCN. This has an additional advantage of curing the dreaded RH fuel surge that the oem carbies suffer from.

Good luck :-)