Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza motor swap

Jonman24680

Hi,

I have a 1995 Impreza L AWD with a EJ18 in it. I want to know if it is possible to put a EJ20TT in my car. Would I need a new tranny and ecu or what. If anyone knows where I can buy a good priced motor that would be a great help.

Thanks,

Jonman24680

if your talking about the twin turbo wrx motor from japan, no it will not fit unless you do some serious mods to the steering system, second turbo is in way of steering shaft and some other stuff. however, if your really looking for a corvette-smoking-combo, you could always throw in a EJ25, the 2.5 liter with DOHC, and get a AVO turbo kit for it, oyu'll only run 6 punds with the kit, but you can get more with corresponding mods, you could easily get STI power levels, or you could wait and look for a wrecked STI, forester XT, or 05' or newer Legacy GT, all have the 2.5 liter DOHC turbo motors, obviously the STI has the bigger turbo and best internals, but few and far between are you going to find a wrecked one. going to have to buy the whole car and swap stuff over. but the imprezza chassis you have would probably do best with some suspension mods and bigger brakes, and just a plain-jane EJ22, oe EJ25.